what router do you use with your qnap?

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Re: what router do you use with your qnap?

Postby Moogle Stiltzkin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:19 pm

thx, i got a better understanding now. i also found this :'

From Youtube.com

not too keen on POEs. I used an aztech poe last time, it got hot, and performance wasn't quite what i expected it to be. But those were early day models, maybe things changed.

From Youtube.com
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 cache acceleration read only
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
[Megathread] Qnap Frequently asked questions V2, click to read here

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

elvisimprsntr
Know my way around

Postby elvisimprsntr » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Briain wrote:Sincere apologies! Being a forum administrator, I have a 'delete' and 'edit' buttons and I accidentally edited your post rather than responding (basically I stupidly pressed the wrong button then made a mess of things by deleting the entire post before realising what I had initially done) but I managed to retrieve your original text via my browser cache and have restored it as a reply, so once again, my sincere apologies for messing the forum up (it was what is sometimes refer to as one 'experiencing a senior moment')! :roll:

elvisimprsntr wrote:
Originally posted Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm

elvisimprsntr wrote:
Keep in mind the future pfSense roadmap requires CPUs with AES-NI, which the J1900 does not have.

Ah, that was not already in my mind for keeping, so thank you very much for alerting me to that planned development.

As mentioned in a previous post, my policy (being retired) is to run things until they break, so that change would be a show-stopper, for now. I do have a Draytek configured as a cold standby (not enough VLANs to cover what I have now, but enough to get by) so when that unit does eventually fail, I'll slap in the Draytek and I will certainly bear that in mind before selecting replacement hardware (and to be honest, that's most likely when I'd actually consider whether to move to pFsense).

Bri

No harm, no foul...

You can run the current releases of pfSense on non AES-NI hardware. I am running basically the same hardware with a J1900 I procured from Protectli. Works well for my 50 Mbps symmetric ATT Fiber connection. From what I have read, you only need AES-NI if you are running GB WAN and outbound encrypted VPN in order to maintain close to GB WAN throughput.

Although I am not retired (yet), I tend to follow a similar upgrade strategy, unless there is a capability I cannot solve with my existing infrastructure or there is a cost benefit. Example, dual WAN with failover, switching from a high power DIY Linux NAS to a lower power consumption QNAP, QNAP hosted VMs to free up client storage consumed by local VirtualBox VMs, etc.

P.S. Another benefit of pfSense is you can configure a Cisco IPSec VPN server to allow one to connect to your network using the native IPSec VPN client in iOS without having to install a third party VPN client like OpenVPN. VPN access from iOS devices is something I lost when Apple removed native PPTP support, for good reason since it is not very secure. pfSense does have a steeper learning curve than OEM or open source firmware, but it was well worth it given what I was able to implement. If you are already running Sophos, I'm sure you will not have any trouble.
[Hourly] TS-453A-16G, R5x4x2TB Seagate ST2000VN000, Crucial CT2KIT102464BF160B
[Daily] TS-253A-16G, R1x2x4TB Seagate ST4000VN008, Crucial CT2KIT102464BF160B
[Weekly] USB3, 1x4TB Seagate STDR4000901, 45 min fire rated safe
[WAN1] ATT Fiber
[WAN2] SpeedTalk SIM in Netgear LTE Modem
[Firewall] pfSense on Protectli
[WLAN] OpenWRT on Linksys WRT3200ACM
[UPS] APC Back-UPS BX1500G

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Postby Moogle Stiltzkin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:46 pm

found an excellent video that explains a ubiquiti setup

USG > switch > wireless AC.

From Youtube.com

and this to explain the setup somewhat
You still need a switch unless you planning on putting the printer on a separate LAN or bridging two of the USG's ports which will disable hardware offloading and tank its performance by about 90%. The USG doesn't have a built in switch, so you need one if you have more than one wired device.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comme ... p/dmqdy6s/

cloudkey? :'

What is the purpose of the unifi controller?

There's certain functionality that requires the controller, such as guest and portal functions, but otherwise the APs are able to operate on their own with general client connections.

Some people operate the controller on a hosted virtual machine, others run it on a server they have at their office, and some have it on their desktop and only fire it up time to time to check for things.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wir ... -p/1150610

question, a bit blur regarding port forwarding for this kind of setup. Like the USG i heard it has very limited port forwarding, unless.. you are comfortable doing it via CLI (which is not my cup of tea).

From Youtube.com

From Youtube.com

But the switch (Ubiquiti Edgeswitch 8) in the setup is layer 3, so it can perform the required port forwarding on it rather than on the usg device, will that work out? or is it recommended to go for a EdgeRouter if any form of port forwarding is required? :'
Layer 3 switching isn't commonly used on small networks. But it can be useful to keep all intra and inter VLAN traffic on the switch, allowing the router to handle just WAN traffic. This kind of network segmentation can provide better network design and performance. A Layer 3 switch can typically forward IP traffic much faster than a router, which along with reducing the router's tasks, enables the higher network performance.

Also if a switch supports ipv4 or ipv6 means it would be a layer 3 switch which would have a section for creating ip routes. So a switch to be layer 3 it must support ip routing which for example would allow you to route between 2 subnets using the switch rather than router. So make sure to check this if you are looking for a layer 3 switch. If traffic is on the same subnet than you dont need a layer 3 switch but if you want layer 3 filters than you're looking at fully managed layer 3 switches and they dont come cheap as they are fully configurable very much like non consumer routers.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/ ... ed?start=1
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diffe ... -v2.39137/

The UniFi product family has been expanded to include managed switches, security gateway / routers, VoIP phones and IP cameras. The UniFi controller, however, supports only access points and security gateways. Separate controllers must be installed to support VoIP phones and IP cameras and they can't be installed on the Cloud Key.

Note the UniFi family does not include EdgeRouters, which are part of the EdgeMAX family. If you want a router to appear in the UniFi dashboard shown below, it will need to be a UniFi Security Gateway (USG, about $120) or Security Gateway Pro4 (USG-PRO-4, about $290)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... ed?start=1

We last looked at Ubiquiti APs back in 2013 in the form of their first 802.11ac access point, the UAP-AC and their "long range" N300 AP, aptly named the UAP-LR. Ubiquiti wasn't happy with how the UAP-AC tested, so I even retested it with "better" firmware that improved 5 GHz performance somewhat. But the upshot was that the original UAP-AC's wireless performance wasn't as good as the AC1750 class D-Link router it was compared to.

These two inexpensive APs come up so often in SNBForum discussions, particularly when folks ask if they're a better choice than consumer mesh systems and whether they'll improve performance vs. consumer routers. So I figured it was about time I got off my ** and tested them.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... s-reviewed

i'm upgrading to a 500mbps ftth, my ac68u seems it may be able to still handle. but i'm just curious about the ubiquiti setup.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireles ... 8u?start=1
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 Samsung 850 Evo raid1 cache acceleration read only
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-228
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 1x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100mbps dl/50mbps ul FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides and articles by me
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
[Megathread] Qnap Frequently asked questions V2, click to read here

https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “Users' Corner”