Configure VM to run off SSD

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
lukenukum
Starting out

Configure VM to run off SSD

Post by lukenukum » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:35 pm

hi there,

i have a TVS-471, 16gb ram with a pair of 4TB WD-reds setup mirrored as raid1 - it's awesome, i'll get that out of the way first.

i also run a windows7 virtual machine on it which works well but i can hear the hdd's working quite hard when im using the VM, it's not too shabby speedwise but i think it could be a bit snappier. i'd like to offload this VM to an SSD drive which to my mind would help things a bit. so...

a) is this a sensible / worthwhile exercise?
b) is is just a case of plugging in the SSD into a spare slot and then moving the HDD image to a folder on the new storage pool?

i'm sure that's over-simplistic but you get the idea?

cheers,

Luke

woodzn
New here

Re: Configure VM to run off SSD

Post by woodzn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:26 pm

Probably my first post in this forum :)

Yes this is how it works.

I even have the main OS installed on my SSD, which gives me a quicker response in general, also with the HDMI out appliances with the HybdridDeskStation - the SSD cache function somehow didnt give me much performance improvement, therefore I have my main used VMs on SSD.

I even now kind of have some VMs with not much load (which only provide authorisation services or whatever) on external usb storages, but the I/O performance of the VMs get really bad then.

BTW, edit, of course you have to point the VM settings again to the new location of the hdd, but this is self-explained I guess

lukenukum
Starting out

Post by lukenukum » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:44 pm

thanks for reply Woodzn - yeah, i just took the plunge and did it... works fantastically!

i tried to repoint the HDD folder but it didn't seem to like it so i cloned the original VM to the new folder on the SSD and it was flawless, it works much better - very fast.

thanks again!

gregz83
First post

Post by gregz83 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:58 am

Can you tell me how you went about setting this up? I am curious and can't seem to find good directions.

I just purchased 2 x 250GB SSD (860 EVO). I would like them to mirror each other and move VM to them so its not chewing on my drives every time I want to run it.

Thanks.

lukenukum
Starting out

Post by lukenukum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:11 pm

gregz83 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:58 am
Can you tell me how you went about setting this up? I am curious and can't seem to find good directions.

I just purchased 2 x 250GB SSD (860 EVO). I would like them to mirror each other and move VM to them so its not chewing on my drives every time I want to run it.
Hi Gregz,

This was 5 years ago so my memory on it is hazy!!

I've ended up with two SSDs, but they're being treated as individual drives (not mirrored) both running a separate virtual machine.

Once you've installed the new SSDs you'd set them up as a mirror within the 'Storage and Snapshots' area of the NAS (mine are numbered 3+4). 1+2 are mirrored but these are larger storage only slower WD Red drives.

You then need to set your VM up within 'Virtualisation Station'. I can't recall if that's installed by default but it's in the QNAP AppCenter and you can download if not. It's relatively straightforward - the virtualisation station will guide you through it, asking you where to select the OS ISO etc and ask you where you want to install it. Obviously you install the OS on the SSD and it's then available to turn on and off within the virtualisation station... you can set it to start up when the NAS boots, or keep it off until you turn it on.

It does work really well though. I've had my QNAP on and running since I posted here originally, had a couple of different OS's installed (win7 + win10) and it works flawlessly - solid as a rock (barring windows updates!) They boot very quickly and you can get to them through a web browser or remote desktop. You can even use the virtual machines as a PC if you connect up a monitor to the NAS, it works, but not necessary in my case.

Best of luck!

Luke

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”