Can I convert over to a RAID setup without losing data.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
BREK
Starting out

Can I convert over to a RAID setup without losing data.

Post by BREK »

Hello.

I've got a 1TB drive with about 900Gigs of data on it.
I've got another completely blank 1TB drive.

The setup on my 409 Pro is currently as a single disk setup. I've formatted the second drive, and it's plugged into the NAS but it's not showing up as useable disk space yet. (The RAID setup can see it and says its working fine etc)

Ideally I'd like to get setup into a RAID setup as the plan is to get a RAID 5 setup eventually.
I could set the other disk up as a single disk but if it's not possible to convert to a RAID array without wiping data then I don't want to start using the second HD yet as It will be even harder to find a place to store the data while converting etc.

The only options it give me for the hard drives is to migrate. But it claims it will wipe the data from both of the drives, which I don't want.

Is there any way to setup a RAID 1 array without wiping the data off the hard drives?
Or Do I have to buy another HD before I can setup RAID1, and then presumably I can then migrate to RAID 5 without losing any data?
Don
Guru

Re: Can I convert over to a RAID setup without losing data.

Post by Don »

Migration should not delete the data on the existing drive. It wll wipe out any data on the new drive. I have done migrations from single disks to raid-1 and then to raid-5 on a 509 and 639 without the lose of any data.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

Ok thanks.

So the warning it gives stating that the data will be wiped is incorrect?

Is there a particular method to migrating to make sure you don't lose the data?
i.e. Do I choose to Migrate the HD with the data on it first?

It makes sense to me that If I'm migrating to RAID 1 then the HD I chose to use as the duplicate should be wiped, and the other HD be left alone.
But the warning it gave stating both would be wiped seems crazy and has me reluctant to do it unless people can verify it won't wipe it. Especially if there is a particular method to do it in so it doesn't wipe it.
petur

Post by petur »

Are you confessing you do not have a backup of the data that's on your NAS?

RAID migration normally does not wipe your data, and I can't remember seeing a warning that states that both disks will be erased, only that the added disk will suffer this fate.

So you say you want to migrate from single disk to RAID1?
Praat je liever over QNAP in het Nederlands?
Liever een community bij jou in de buurt?

Kom naar QNAPclub België/Nederland
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Well, you should always have backup :-)

Back when I started with the 409 I could only afford one disk, so I installed that, then I moved to a mirror (raid-1), then I moved to raid-5, and finally I expanded the raid-5 with an extra disk, so it possible on the 409, it all depends on you understanding the steps.

1) Stop all QPKG's from running
2) Stop as many services you can, especially MySql
3) Go to "Raid Management Tool"
4) Under "Current Disk Volume Configuraiton" select your disk holding the data
5) Click Migrate (the rest is by memory, so please bear with me)
6) Select the disk you wish to include in the mirror (the new disk)
7) Start the migration.

Something like that...
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
petur

Post by petur »

I just tested a migration from single disk to RAID1, no data lost.
The message says that any data on the selected disk(s) will be lost, but this is on the page where you select which new disk to add.

BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

Thanks for everyone's help.

I followed fribse's instructions and it all worked fine.
It took about 12 hours to migrate and mirror but it's all done now.

My new problem. :) Is that SABnzbd+ has stopped working now.
I re-enabled it and Python, but it can't find the webpage. :(

Any ideas? I've read the re-installing all the QPKG things will help, so I'm about to do that.
petur

Post by petur »

yes, try to reinstall them. I have seen QPKG packages go awol when changing disk configuration but still see them as installed in the web GUI. remove and install again and all is well

fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

BREK wrote:Thanks for everyone's help.

I followed fribse's instructions and it all worked fine.
It took about 12 hours to migrate and mirror but it's all done now.

My new problem. :) Is that SABnzbd+ has stopped working now.
I re-enabled it and Python, but it can't find the webpage. :(

Any ideas? I've read the re-installing all the QPKG things will help, so I'm about to do that.
The problem is when you go from single disk to raid, the device used for storage changes, and this will mess up some of the packages. When you use single disk, the storage will be called HDA_DATA, but when using any kind of RAID it will be called MD0_DATA.
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

I Managed to fix it.

I had a bit of a nightmare fixing it though.

I removed all the QPKG's via the web interface.
Restarted.
Attempted to re-install them again, but it was failing when trying to re-install Python, as it claimed it already existed, but it didn't.

I used WinSCP to go into the NAS, and looked about. (sooooo many folders) and managed to find a Python folder in there somewhere, nested about 4 folders deep in a recurring layout.
So, I crossed my fingers and deleted it. :) (It didn't look like it had anythign else there)

And, it then allowed me to re-install Python.

So, that all works now. :)

However, I tried to install AjaXplorer. But that didn't work.
I didn't have it installed before converting to RAID 1, but I thin I did install it before then removing all of them.

Any tips/help form anyone as to how to get it working?
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Can you see the Ajaxplorer folder under Qweb?
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:

BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

Yes.

Had to find out what you meant by QWeb. :)
I went onto my NAS via the File Manager Web interface, found a QWeb folder, went into it, got a bunch of files and things there.

A thought occured to me that it might need the Web Server enabled to be able to run, so I enabled that.
But it also seems to not work. (Can't access it at all.)
Can't access the web server page, Joomla page, or the myPHPadmin page.

I don't know if I do need these things on, but they don't appear to be working at the moment either, so I'll have to look into fixing them to make them work at some point.
Possibly the upgrading to RAID1 has broken these as well?
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Yes, Ajaxplorer is a PHP application that runs under the webserver, so you have to enable that.
If you go to the IP address (LAN IP), what do you see?
Remember that webpages are casesensitive on Linux (or rather everything is casesensitive on Linux).
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:

BREK
Starting out

Post by BREK »

???

It's the Normal LAN IP. 192.168.1.104
I'm currently connecting from work via 'no-ip.org'
Which is working, as I have web access and Winscp access to my NAS.

I was logged in as Admin, and clicking the links on the web interface (e.g Web server page, link etc) , so there shouldn't have been any possibility of getting any Case Sensitivty wrong.

It may be because I'm at work that it's timing out, as I can't connect to MLDonkey from work, but it does work at home on the LAN.
I may be not forwarding the ports on my Router, or work is blocking outgoing attempts to access certain ports.? (probably my router is not forwarding things.)

If AjaXplorer is working, how do I access it? does it appear on the webpage under web server?

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to help out with all this.
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Well, you need the port 80 forwarded on the router to have web access (assuming the standard webserver is using port 80 :-).
I don't know about mldonkey, but don't forward ports without knowing what you open up for! Otherwise you could leave your NAS wide open for everybody, eg. don't forward port 8080 to the administration interface.

If you look under you Qweb folder, you can see the structure of your 'website', if you want it to nicely integrate into anything, it's a job for yourself.

So looking under Qweb, you'll see a folder called AjaXplorer. So to access it from the lan, you would use http://192.168.1.104/AjaXplorer
If you use the dyndns service you can create a domain name to your public IP and forward port 80 from your router to your NAS, so that you could have whatever.dyndns.org/AjaXplorer available.
Best regards
Fribse

HOWTO's:

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”