VM image not recognized when importing

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
vampyren
Know my way around

VM image not recognized when importing

Post by vampyren » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi,

I need some help to understand the virtualization station and all of its the formats.
I have created a VM image and the format is .img, which i assume is the native format for virtualization station.

I did some cleaning and moved a few of these .img files to another location and deleted them from the virtualization station.
The problem now is if i want to get them back into virtualization station the import does not recognize the .img file. It only accept
( *.ova, *.ovf, *.vmx, *.qvm, *.xml ) files.
I see the export does allow me to export my .img to .ovf but it seems very strange to first export it and then import it when .img is the natively created file anyway.

Am i missing something?

SageCloud
Starting out

Re: VM image not recognized when importing

Post by SageCloud » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:20 am

I'm having the exact same problem/question. Someone ever figured this out?
Thanks in advance!

SageCloud
Starting out

Post by SageCloud » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:42 am

I think I just figured it out...

Create a new custom VM.
Give it the (hopefully) same specs as you did when you created the VM in the *.img file.
Next, within the block HDD Image, select NAS Image and click the Browse (Folder) button. Use the .img file (Be sure to make a copy before you do so, just in case!) et voilá! Fire it up and it should be just fine.

Good luck!

vampyren
Know my way around

Post by vampyren » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:46 am

SageCloud wrote:I think I just figured it out...

Create a new custom VM.
Give it the (hopefully) same specs as you did when you created the VM in the *.img file.
Next, within the block HDD Image, select NAS Image and click the Browse (Folder) button. Use the .img file (Be sure to make a copy before you do so, just in case!) et voilá! Fire it up and it should be just fine.

Good luck!

I already deleted the old ones and made new images :(

But if this works then its awesome. Cant believe there is no documentation on this subject. Thanks allot for sharing this info mate.

Cheers

Chippen
First post

Post by Chippen » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 pm

I do not have the problems now.
I converted OVA/OVF files Hardware to run under older VMware Workstations. (Example ver 6.0)
Has no trouble importing and running after the convention.
I does not use Edge / Chrome or other browsers, but i use Internet Explorer ver. 11 to log into Virtualization Station and have not experienced major problems.
It uploads all the files without any problems..

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”