Moving System Volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rotundwizard
New here

Moving System Volume

Post by rotundwizard »

I have a question about the System Volume. Currently my QNAP TS-451 has 2 Storage Pools. The Storage Pool 1 is two 2 TB disks in RAID 1 RAID Group that is being used as iSCSI Storage. Storage Pool 2 is a single 1 TB disk which is my System Volume (yes at this point via previous posts, I've already discovered this isn't best practice, but that ship has sailed).

My end goal is to remove the 1 TB drive and populate bays 3 and 4 with two more 2 TB disks and migrate my way to RAID 6 in Storage Pool 1. My issue is my System Volume lives on that 1 TB drive (I do not use the disk for anything else, ie shares are all unused).

If I perform the following steps, will I experience data loss? (Yes I have a cloud backup, but restoring from that isn't the ideal solution)

1. Create a small new Volume using some of the unused space in Storage Pool 1
2. Back up my System Setting (ControlPanel>Backup/Restore>Back up System Settings)
3. Shut down NAS (systems that access the iSCSI storage will also be shut down)
4. Pull the 1TB drive (System Volume)
5. Put a 2 TB drive in both bay 3 and 4 (matching the model in bay 1 and 2)
6. Power the NAS back on
7. Restore from the backup taken in step 2 (point to the new volume created in step 1 for the System Volume)
8. Add the new disks to the RAID Group in Storage Pool 1 and Migrate to RAID 5 then 6.

My main concern is that at step 6, when I power the NAS back on, my existing RAID (or at the very least one of the two disks) will get wiped out because the NAS doesn't see a system disk and proceeds to format one of the existing disks automatically. Will I have an option to choose the new volume I created in step 1 as the new System Volume when I power the NAS back on? Is there an easier way to do this?
rotundwizard
New here

Re: Moving System Volume

Post by rotundwizard »

For anyone having a similar issue, here's the solution provided to me by QNAP. Worked like a charm!

"The setup is quite easy in your situation because you mentioned you don't need to preserve the existing system volume. You just need to remove the old system volume in storage pool 2 and create a new volume in storage pool 1, that volume will automatically becomes the new system volume. Like you said before, I'd suggest you backup the settings from Backup & Restore."

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”