Can't Run any Docker Containers

terminator14
New here

Can't Run any Docker Containers

Post by terminator14 »

Using ContainerStation on my TS-831X, when I download the gitlab-ce image and try to start a container created from it, I get this error:
Failed to start container
This image cannot run under ARM NAS

500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("rpc error: code = 2 desc = "oci runtime error: exec format error")
When I tried to do the same with the mysql image's container, I got exactly the same error message.
Even the hello-world container gives the same error.
Why are no containers starting up for me?

Reboot didn't help. My QNAP is fully updated, and so is ContainerStation.
Reinstalling ContainerStation didn't help either - same error.
brianbloom
New here

Re: Can't Run any Docker Containers

Post by brianbloom »

It sounds like it's balking at the architecture of your NAS (the ARM cpu it has).
Someone made a gitlab version specifically for ARM: https://hub.docker.com/r/lacarm/gitlab/ (mentioned in the comment threads of https://hub.docker.com/r/gitlab/gitlab-ce/)
terminator14
New here

Post by terminator14 »

I did not add the docker hub repo - it came preinstalled when I setup ContainerStation.
The ContainerStation user interface lets me search through the docker hub, and install all the images I've tried.
Either the containers I'm trying don't work on ARM based devices, making a very large portion of the entire concept of running docker containers on QNAP devices useless, or there's a bug somewhere.

The images I want to use are the official ones. Ex: the gitlab image I'm trying to use is made by the guys that make gitlab. I never liked the idea of using "some image some guy threw together in his spare time", unless that guy is me.

Can anyone confirm that most docker images won't work on an ARM based QNAP device?
brianbloom
New here

Post by brianbloom »

My QNAP is Intel based, so I can't corroborate your results, but quoting a few sentences from a page about docker on Raspberry Pi:

"Docker-based apps you use have to be packaged specifically for ARM architecture! Docker-based apps packaged for x86/x64 will not work and will result in an error such as:
FATA[0003] Error response from daemon: Cannot start container 0f0fa3f8e510e53908e6a459e817d600b9649e621e7dede974d6a65761ad39e5: exec format error
Keep this in mind when searching for apps on the Docker Hub - the source for Docker apps/images. If you see the keyword RPI or ARM in the heading or description, this app can usually be used for the Raspberry Pi."

The TS-831X has a "AnnapurnaLabs, an Amazon company Alpine AL-314 Quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A15 processor" CPU, which is an ARM architecture much like the Raspberry Pi..

So, I suspect you may be limited in what Docker images you have access to and unless an official/canonical maintainer of an app also makes an ARM build, you may be stuck with either rolling your own or trusting a 3rd party hobbyist to do so...
terminator14
New here

Post by terminator14 »

Thanks for the info.
Very unfortunate.

Return to “Container Station”