Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Removed Features

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Removed Features

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Microsoft plans to release the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the next feature update for Windows 10 in a couple of months.
The Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 will introduce new functionality but also remove some that was available in previous versions of the operating system.

Microsoft published a Support article that highlights removed or deprecated features in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

The difference between removed and deprecated is the following: removed features are no longer available in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Deprecated features on the other hand are not in active development at the point in time and likely to be removed in future updates. They are still available in the new version of Windows 10 however.

Microsoft plans to remove or block popular or long standing features in the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10. Most notable are probably the removal of the classic Paint application, the blocking of EMET, and the deprecation of the screen saver functionality.

Paint has been the default image editor on Windows for a long time. Microsoft launched Paint 3D in the Windows 10 Creators Update, and seems to have made the decision to remove legacy Paint from the Fall Creators Update.

Microsoft EMET will be blocked in the Windows 10 Fall Creators update, and Microsoft suggests that users configure the new Exploit Protection feature of Windows Defender instead.

Full article
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/23/windo ... -features/

so just to take note, so when it does come out you can do a backup for your desktop/laptop for a clean win10 install after upgrade. I made a humble guide using netbak replicator. Toxic also pointed out macronium reflect also a good candidate for that backup/restore process.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134423
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Removed Features

Windows 10 Creators Update - Official Release Demo
[youtube=]XCj-wJB5j4c[/youtube]

Windows 10 Major "Creators Update" - 10 Best New Features!
[youtube=]EX7j8tj22PA[/youtube]

Windows 10 Creators Update Problems, Privacy Invasion & Petition for Change :(
[youtube=]wPFbAqICUJo[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Full article
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/23/windo ... -features/

so just to take note, so when it does come out you can do a backup for your desktop/laptop for a clean win10 install after upgrade. I made a humble guide using netbak replicator. Toxic also pointed out macronium reflect also a good candidate for that backup/restore process.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=134423
Microsoft is implementing their own WAAS platform, affectionately know as Windows As A Service which clearly states Microsoft's intentions to offer Windows and included packages as a Service where if you want Outlook (as it stands now) you will need to pay for this Service, eg. a separate licence from Windows Licence.

Regarding MS Paint, you can still run this on Windows 10 with a very simple work around. Paint 3D has been nothing but a joke, the same as earlier versions of 8.x with that Vista retained cartoonish looking software.

Outlook Express has been pulled so it can be sold as a separate entity from Windows, all about profits.

The MS system backup also was a complete joke, it was crippled from initial release in its capabilities and never has and never will succeed.

TPM, I wouldn't give MS access to my passwords as it is too easy to obtain the SAM and binary read it.

MS Remote management, ROFL what a joke... this has been the cause of loads of scams by fraudulent websites that throw up the blue security screen saying you must contact Microsoft immediately, your system has been hacked. I can understand why this is being removed. I for one disable Remote Management on every Windows installation I do.

What about all these outdated software packages that still use .net v1.x etc. The coding needs to be updated or the software replaced completely due to use of outdated .net versions as recently discovered on the Insider Preview where .net 2.x had to be disabled to allow the Update to go through

Macrium Reflect is a great imaging package, it does it well and it does it properly allowing full restoration when required. I am moving to Macrium Workstation so as I can obtain the G-F-S scheme that I want and require.

A word to those thinking about running out and joining the Windows Insider Preview Program, do not do this if you do not know how to recover failed installations, corrupted Windows Databases, UEFI/Legacy BIOS. Insiders is not for the faint of heart and the last four builds have been nothing but complete pain the backsides.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Johnno72 wrote: Regarding MS Paint, you can still run this on Windows 10 with a very simple work around. Paint 3D has been nothing but a joke, the same as earlier versions of 8.x with that Vista retained cartoonish looking software.
paint is lacking in terms of edits if we were to compare to say paintshop pro. however for simple edits it's perfectly fine. but more and more these days, for stuff i share online i'm using imgur's own emded image editting such as crop and resize. i saw the demo about 3d paint, it has some interesting stuff like 3d modeling, also can use other peoples 3d models they made, but that said they should have a ms paint mode primarily, then this 3d mode as an alternate mode you can switch to or use optionally.
Johnno72 wrote: Outlook Express has been pulled so it can be sold as a separate entity from Windows, all about profits.
haven't used this for a long time. even gmail is now getting pushback from alternatives like protonmail and tutanota which have greater emphasis on privacy.

Johnno72 wrote: Macrium Reflect is a great imaging package, it does it well and it does it properly allowing full restoration when required. I am moving to Macrium Workstation so as I can obtain the G-F-S scheme that I want and require.
i saw a video since toxic mentioned it. does seem very feature rich, but someone with my limited technical skills would find so much settings a bit daunting and tedious. i compared it against aomei backupper which seems to cut out much of the configurations needed.

ultimately which has the better result i can't say :shock:

they removed so much yet they kept around the bloatware like minecraft, candy crush, bubble witch 3 saga, march of empires, xbox (i'm in the playstation camp .....) .... also that windows start was flooded with all that junk that i removed 1 by 1 manually.

essentially their removing stuff that got redundant or got superseded by something else from what i can see. and data collection became a smudge more transparent probably due to some pressure from the EU perhaps. but the sad thing is, they worded it in the way data collection as of this release being made transparent. that does not say anything about what was and still is being collected prior to that fall creator update. also people said you can't fully shut off these crazy telemetries either, so what good is that?
The EDRi European digital rights group summed up their view at the time thus:

…one can say that Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties. The company appears to be granting itself the right to share your data either with your consent “or as necessary”.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/21/windo ... watchdogs/

that said we already knew they were up to no good, even going as far as using keyloggers unbeknownst to the user. this is why i use anti keylogger :roll: (can't even trust the os you use woot!)
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974057/ ... s-one.html

it's gotten so bad that they even released a special windows 10 just for the chinese just to tap into that market. may as well be ms admitting their doing dodgy stuff :shock: lel
Microsoft and the Chinese government's relationship in the past hasn't been the best. That rocky past makes the news that the pair have worked together on a version of Windows 10 for government computers all the more interesting. It's based on Windows 10 Enterprise, but with a few tweaks. "The China Government Edition will use these manageability features to remove features that are not needed by Chinese government employees like OneDrive, to manage telemetry and updates, and to enable the government to use its own encryption algorithms within its computer systems," executive vice president Terry Myerson writes on the Windows 10 Blog.

It wasn't an easy process. "Over the last two years, we have earnestly cooperated with the Chinese government on the security review," Myerson says. The fruits of that labor will go into place at the China Customs agency, the City of Shanghai, and Westone Information Technology. What's more, Lenovo will be among the first OEMs to preinstall the government's operating system on new hardware in the region.

Back in 2014, China banned Windows 8 installs on government computers because it feared major security risks. China had been pushing its forked version of Linux in the wake of that.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/23/win ... t-edition/

when xp went eol people were forced to update. also dx12 is exclusive to windows 10 onward. even people on win 7 who thought they were safe weren't really :shock:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978239/ ... storm.html

if i had to compare google to microsoft it would be, google is that guy waiting on the public street just outside your home for you to use or not use, though he provides a useful service at the expense of your privacy. Ms on the other hand is the wolf inside your house (no holds barred) no escape unless you decide to move to the next neighbourhood (linux, mac os) :shock:

weird thing is google got sued billions by EU for rigging the search results for marketing (they ** of website designers because their SEOs meant squat if they didn't pay google to cheat). whereas i hadn't seen anything done to ms just yet :'

/end rant

anyway topic is about upcoming win 10, so time for backup to qnap in prep for that using either the guide i made or some other method you know of :( eta soon. just got off topic because these changes it's just a joke of what we truly expect from an OS, so sorry about that :mrgreen: interesting article here if anyone interested
https://www.slashgear.com/privacy-shoul ... -15467615/

PS: In a forum like this, we try to keep comments short. Doing that, and being precise in your writing can be very difficult, and I admit that I am not a very good writer so bear with me >_<:
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Stats show 35.7 percent of systems running version 1703

Microsoft started the Windows 10 Creators Update rollout in April this year, and the company opted for a release in waves, meaning that systems are getting the new version as they are marked as compatible after the common bugs are addressed.

And statistics provided by AdDuplex indicate that no less than 35.7 percent of the Windows 10 PCs out there are already on version 1703 (Creators Update), but the Anniversary Update remains the top version with 58.3 percent.

“Creators Update continues to propagate on PCs worldwide, but at moderate pace. It seems to be in line with how Anniversary Update spread, but we’ve approached the infliction point (2-3 months in) when Anniversary Update went full speed and jumped from 35 percent to over 75 percent in one month,” AdDuplex explains in the new batch of statistics published today.

“Next month we will see if this pace will be repeated with the Creators Update,” the report continues.

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
The Creators Update comes with a long list of improvements, including new security features, and this is one of the reasons Microsoft encourages everyone to update as soon as possible. While the automatic update via Windows Update is rolling out in stages, IT pros can install the Creators Update at any moment using the Windows Update Assistant, which lets them skip compatibility checks and ignore any issues that might arise during the process.

While adoption of the Creators Update is improving, Microsoft continues work on the next iteration of Windows, which is called Fall Creators Update.

Already in development with help from Windows insiders, the Fall Creators Update is projected to be finalized in September before the public launch to everyone else in October.

These dates are not confirmed just yet, but Microsoft has pledged to release two different Windows updates every year, in March and September, respectively.

full article:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows- ... 6708.shtml

by the way i'm on build 1703 :shock:
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

just a small update
Microsoft: MS Paint Is Here to Stay
Contrary to popular assumption, MS Paint is not going anywhere: while a support document published over the weekend revealed that the program is being deprecated, Microsoft has now clarified that Paint will remain available and is simply being moved to the Windows Store, "where it will be available for free" ( can you imagine if they started charging for the 32-year-old program? ).

Amidst today’s commentary around MS Paint we wanted to take this opportunity to set the record straight, clear up some confusion and share some good news: MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free. Paint 3D - the new app for creativity, also available for free with the Windows 10 Creators Update, will continue to get new feature updates. In addition to the new 3D capabilities, many of the MS Paint features people know and love like photo editing, line and curve tools, and 2D creation are in Paint 3D.
Microsoft announced that the Windows 10 Creators Update is now available to everyone with a compatible system.

Reading that sentence in July might seem weird, given that the Creators Update was released in April, and that the Fall Creators Update is set to debut in the coming months. But the announcement matters because Microsoft has been experimenting with a different update process, which could help consumers and business customers alike the chance to get the latest version of Windows on a more predictable timeframe.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 35100.html
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Windows Subsystem for Linux Exits Beta

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools directly on Windows, alongside your traditional Windows desktop and modern store apps, is no longer in beta and will be fully supported in the Fall Creators Update later this year. Users will be able to share and access files on the Windows filesystem from within Linux, and call Linux executables from Windows and vice versa.
We're excited to announce that in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (FCU) due to ship in fall 2017, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) will no longer be a beta feature and will become a fully supported Windows feature. Early adopters on the Windows Insider program will notice that WSL is no longer marked as a beta feature as of Insider build 16251. This will be great news for those who've held-back from employing WSL as a mainline toolset: You'll now be able to leverage WSL as a day-to-day developer toolset, and become ever more productive when building, testing, deploying, and managing your apps and systems on Windows 10.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/30 ... exits_beta
NAS

Network

Resources
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Microsoft to Remove Full ReFS Support from Windows 10 Pro

As a means of pushing its new workstation SKU, Microsoft is removing the ability to create volumes using its new ReFS file system from Windows 10 Pro. While existing volumes will continue to work, Pro will no longer be able to create new ones: that will require the latest variant of Windows 10: Pro for Workstations, which includes support for additional processors and RAM, alongside certain server-grade hardware such as non-volatile main memory.
The company published a list of features that will be deprecated or removed in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in July. This list was updated by Microsoft on August 17, 2017 to reflect the decision to pull ReFS create support from most Windows 10 editions. What this means is that administrators cannot select the ReFS file system anymore when they format drives or change file systems of drives. Microsoft introduced the Resilient File System in Windows Server 2012, and added support for the file system in Windows Server 2016 and all editions of Windows 8.1 and 10.
linux seems to be moving in a better direction when it comes to zfs and btrfs.

Microsoft is really falling behind on a new modern filesystem, and now this :S
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Users' Corner”