TS-251 shuts down after 2 seconds of powering up

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
vmsbay
First post

TS-251 shuts down after 2 seconds of powering up

Post by vmsbay »

Hi QNAP Community - I am a newbie on these forum, and was a proud owner of a TS-251. I had 2 WD Red 3TB drives installed, and it was running flawlessly. Until about a week or so ago. It shut down without warning, and when I tried to power it back up again, it would flash the green power light, fan would come up, and it would abruptly shut down. I pulled the HDDs, and tried this again. Same issue. Plugged into a different outlet, same issue. As soon as the power supply is plugged in, it tries to startup, but after about 2 (or 3 seconds), the fan stops spinning, and it turns off.

My 2 year warranty ended on May 2017, but figured it wouldn't hurt to contact QNAP support. I was asked to reset the RAM (still on factory RAM - not upgraded), but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Support recommended I should just buy a new unit because it would be cheaper than sending it in for repairs. Any thoughts? Unfortunately, I do not remember the firmware version, but this certainly seems like a hardware related issue.
goblinas
First post

Re: TS-251 shuts down after 2 seconds of powering up

Post by goblinas »

Sorry for bringing it up after all these years but I am experiencing same issue with my ts251+. Have you found any solutions?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-251 shuts down after 2 seconds of powering up

Post by dolbyman »

Look for the clock bug resistor fix (plenty current topics) instead of necroposting in 4 year old unresolved ones

marked for closure

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”