Virtualization station auto creating snapshots? how to disable?

jasonjm
New here

Virtualization station auto creating snapshots? how to disable?

Post by jasonjm »

so virtualization station is now creating snapshots by itself of my VM, which seems a lot of data transfer. within a few days it fills up the physical hdd and the VM crashes as it has no space.

how do i disable VM snapshots to never ever?

who at qnap thought it was a good idea to turn this on with no warning or explanation or obvious place to turn off?
jasonjm
New here

Re: Virtualization station auto creating snapshots? how to disable?

Post by jasonjm »

idiots at qnap - and yes qnap, you are IDIOTS, decided that forcing this feature on - with no way to disable - would be a good idea.

blows my mind.

I D I O T S
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you contact QNAP ?
jasonjm
New here

Post by jasonjm »

yeah they asked if i wanted to added it to a future requested features patch - meaning the feature would be the option to turn off auto snapshots on VMs.

meanwhile i have VMs crashing all over the place as the disks are all running out of space, windows 2016 servers at companies.

I am so ** off.

this might be the dumbest "feature" i have ever seen added. Makes microsoft look smart, which is saying something.

QNAP = idiots.

I have never been fond of their just adding random features each new firmware version, and using the public to bug test for them, but this is just a new kind of stupid.
RonanAccuser
Starting out

Post by RonanAccuser »

I ran into the same problem.
Is there a way to disable that?
I didn't have that until I reinstalled Virtualization Station yesterday.
I completly removed version 3.1.1164 and installed 3.1.1171. After I integrated my old VM image,
it suddenly it started with that snapshot bullsh**
I can totally agree to the idiots term, what I have experinced with Qnap and it's out of their mind developers is unspeakable.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

running VMs on several qnaps (thread is 2 years old)

never had snapshots created without setting them up myself first

qnap model and firmware involved?
RonanAccuser
Starting out

Post by RonanAccuser »

I run a somewhat older firmware 4.3.6 1070 on my TVS 863 because updates last year caused severe problems with my Raid5.
I had a Linux and Windows10 VM running fir quite some time. Yesterday I had some crap messages from VS about downgrading not supported as I was to create a new VM.
So I decided to completely remove VS version 3.1.1164 and installed 3.1.1171. I had to re-create new VMs from my old images.
After that I had no issues anymore. But then discovered that VS was suddenly creating an automatic snapshot once I started a VM. This snapshot is the current diffential file from the main .img. It stays there and grows while the main img stays untouched. And it bothers me.

Return to “Virtualization Station”