WTF QNAP

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
BenNewall
Starting out

WTF QNAP

Post by BenNewall »

Sorry in advance!

I have resorted to making this post out of desperation as I am utterly disgusted at how bad my current situation is. I have a major problem as one of my NAS's has reset to factory defaults and I need to get my data off it. I can see the data is there I just can't access it. I would imagine this is a quick fix for a QNAP engineer who knows his away around the Linux back-end.

However my experience of QNAP support so far has been nothing short of criminal!

I have logged a ticket - completely ignored
I have called UK support number on +44 (0)2036 081 969 - waited 30 minutes nobody answers the phone
I have emailed the Netherlands support team at NLsupport@qnap.com, it has been 4 hours and no response
I tried calling the Netherlands support team on +31(0)107600830 but again, after 30 minutes nobody answers the phone
I tried calling the Germany telephone number but it is invalid.
I waited until the USA got out of bed and rang them, again 30 minutes no answer then had an option to leave a voicemail and it said "error voicemail inbox full!"
I am so desperate for a resolution I even contacted one of their employees in India via Facebook!

Has QNAP gone bust or something? Why is every single telephone number around the globe completely un-manned today? Have they taken a global holiday?

After an entire day trying to contact ANYBODY at QNAP and failing, my faith in QNAP as a business product has been shaken. I am now considering buying another brand just because I cannot afford to deal with a vendor with a non-existent support desk!?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: WTF QNAP

Post by dolbyman »

what nas model?
what firmware?
what exactly happened ?
any parts of the nas exposed to the internet?

why no backups?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

dolbyman wrote: why no backups?
+1
[youtube=]j1N9du5cLOE[/youtube]

if you create helpdesk ticket, their sla should be 1 day to get back to you?

also hotline available during their work hours, i'm assuming you did confirm that before you called? but yes you were right to call them direct, especially if you wanted to expedite. not sure why call didn't go through, i only have experience with the Taiwan HQ branch when i called them up for support on rare occasions, there wasn't an issue with that (not to say what you said isn't true, but i had a different experience) :'
https://www.qnap.com/en/about/con_show. ... wone&cid=1

to better understand their customer service, watch this
[youtube=]exM3fTtEmog[/youtube]
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Tue May 22, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
BenNewall
Starting out

Post by BenNewall »

TS453U
It was whatever version is 1 version before current. But now its reverted to 4.3.4.0486
We rebooted it as it requested we do this before installing latest firmware.
After reboot the web gui didn't work, several more reboots gained us nothing.
I read online that removing the disks might allow the web gui to load, did this and we got into a reduced web gui.
It simply asked us to re-insert disks, so did this then it said there was a major problem and we could either re-initialize and lose all data, or restore factory defaults but keep data.
So naturally we chose the restore option
after restore and reboot we could get in to the web gui fine but all of our shares/folders/files are gone. The volume still shows our 5tb of data used as it should but there is no way to get to the data itself.
We do have a backup, an identical unit offsite which this one replicates to. However the problem is we want to get into this one, on site, today not next year when somebody answers the phone >.<
no we don't expose them to the internet. they are used purely for storing the backup databases of our Alike DR Xenserver backup product.

Cheers
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

so if the shares are gone .. recreate the shares via the share management and point them to the volume (DataVol1) as location

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat2/en/in ... olders.htm
BenNewall
Starting out

Post by BenNewall »

Hey! Dolbyman that worked!

I didn't even try this simply because the File Station app didn't show ANY folders on DataVol1. However Share Manager sees them all so yeah, problem solved!

I am still looking to speak to QNAP though as I beleive there is a more serious underlying problem which has caused all of this, I know this because I can't install the latest firmware due to "insufficient storage space". I don't understand why the NAS thinks there is insufficient storage space or how to see what is taking up all the space.

Cheers
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you might have an (misconfigured) app that fills your internal system partitions.

can you do a

Code: Select all

df -h
via SSH ?
aspomwell
Know my way around

Post by aspomwell »

it's already been mentioned above, but now that it's working before you do anything else BACK UP your data! Amazon has a Seagate 8TB external USB 3 drive for $150 in the states, may be a little more where you are but you really need a backup strategy to keep your data safe.
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BenNewall wrote:I didn't even try this simply because the File Station app didn't show ANY folders on DataVol1. However Share Manager sees them all so yeah, problem solved!
It's because File Station does not have access to the entire NAS directory tree. It's limited to your local shares and remote connected shares (like cloud drives). The real storage location for your data is hidden from File Station. It can only access your data if a share name is created for it. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BenNewall
Starting out

Post by BenNewall »

Here you go Dolbyman
Thanks in advance!

(BTW the output of this is the same as our 2nd offsite TS453U which has no problems updating firmware)

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
none 216.0M 200.7M 15.3M 93% /
devtmpfs 1.9G 8.0K 1.9G 0% /dev
tmpfs 64.0M 332.0K 63.7M 1% /tmp
tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 16.0M 0 16.0M 0% /share
tmpfs 16.0M 0 16.0M 0% /mnt/snapshot/export
/dev/md9 493.5M 493.4M 36.0K 100% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
cgroup_root 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/cachedev1
17.4T 5.3T 12.1T 30% /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
/dev/md13 355.0M 341.0M 14.0M 96% /mnt/ext
tmpfs 16.0M 48.0K 16.0M 0% /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.samba/lock/msg.lock
tmpfs 16.0M 0 16.0M 0% /mnt/ext/opt/samba/private/msg.sock
tmpfs 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /mnt/rf/nd
tmpfs 512.0M 0 512.0M 0% /mnt/.fw_update_dir

Aspomwell, thanks but it is already backed up but the offsite copy is quite a drive away. I wanted to try and get this one working first and if I couldn't I would go and fetch the other unit.

OneCD thanks that's interesting I didn't know that.

Cheers
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

The size table is easier to read with a mono-spaced font (use code tags):

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
none                    216.0M    200.7M     15.3M  93% /
devtmpfs                  1.9G      8.0K      1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                    64.0M    332.0K     63.7M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                     1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                    16.0M         0     16.0M   0% /share
tmpfs                    16.0M         0     16.0M   0% /mnt/snapshot/export
/dev/md9                493.5M    493.4M     36.0K 100% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
cgroup_root               1.9G         0      1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/cachedev1    17.4T      5.3T     12.1T  30% /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
/dev/md13               355.0M    341.0M     14.0M  96% /mnt/ext
tmpfs                    16.0M     48.0K     16.0M   0% /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.samba/lock/msg.lock
tmpfs                    16.0M         0     16.0M   0% /mnt/ext/opt/samba/private/msg.sock
tmpfs                     1.0M         0      1.0M   0% /mnt/rf/nd
tmpfs                   512.0M         0    512.0M   0% /mnt/.fw_update_dir

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BenNewall
Starting out

Post by BenNewall »

Urgh!

Can't even recreate shares as I can't join domain due to this disk space problem. How do I increase the amount of space available to the system itself? Where is this data stored?

tdb(/usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb): expand_file write of 8192 bytes failed (No space left on device)

OneCD I will do thanks.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BenNewall wrote:Can't even recreate shares as I can't join domain due to this disk space problem. How do I increase the amount of space available to the system itself?
Well, looking at your table:
BenNewall wrote:

/dev/md9                493.5M    493.4M     36.0K 100% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
... [/dev/md9] (which is one of the system partitions @dolbyman mentioned) is most likely the problem.

I'm hesitant to suggest that you start deleting things in [/mnt/HDA_ROOT] unless you know what you're looking at.

You could try disabling all QPKGs then restarting the NAS. How's the free space look afterward?

BenNewall
Starting out

Post by BenNewall »

OneCD, If my unit reset itself to factory settings then wouldn't that mean there are no QPKG's installed? I was under the impression these are custom apps that can be installed outside of the app station? I have never installed any apps on this NAS whether through app station or otherwise. It has purely been used for hosting network shares.

How do I go about checking if there are QPKG's installed?

BTW I really appreciate the help, I am now optimistic that between us we might be able to get this resolved? :)
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BenNewall wrote:If my unit reset itself to factory settings then wouldn't that mean there are no QPKG's installed?
I don't think a factory reset removes installed apps - but I haven't checked the documentation on this in some time. It's not certain that your unit was actually reset. It may just look like it has reset.

Apps would be removed if the array was erased. So, if your data is still there, then your apps should be too.
BenNewall wrote:How do I go about checking if there are QPKG's installed?
If you're at the CLI, run:

grep '^\[\|^Enable' /etc/config/qpkg.conf
If you're in the QTS UI, check the QTS App Center under 'My Apps'.

As for checking that system partition, the best I can come up with in 5 minutes using the standard QTS utils is:

du -mxa /mnt/HDA_ROOT | sort -n | tail -n20
This will show the top 20 directories and files by size in [/mnt/HDA_ROOT] in reverse order. The numbers shown are in MB with the largest shown last.

Here's mine:

/dev/md9                515.6M    107.7M    407.9M  21% /mnt/HDA_ROOT

[~] # du -mxa /mnt/HDA_ROOT | sort -n | tail -n20
1       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/vim.tgz
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/rssdoc
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.logs
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/ssl_lib
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/ssl_lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/ImageMagick.tgz
2       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/Python.tgz
3       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config
3       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/ffmpeg.tgz
3       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/jsLib.tgz
3       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/mtpBinary.tgz
4       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/Samples.tgz
4       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/wifi.tgz
5       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/antivirus.tgz
8       /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/language.tgz
11      /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/samba4.tgz
15      /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/mariadb5.tgz
17      /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg/medialibrary.tgz
84      /mnt/HDA_ROOT/update_pkg
92      /mnt/HDA_ROOT
edit: added files to 'du' display, increased qty from 10 to 20.

Return to “Users' Corner”