OK - so which client for bittorrent?

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
McHaggis69
Getting the hang of things

OK - so which client for bittorrent?

Post by McHaggis69 »

Running a TS251a.

Looking for recommendations and setup guides for the best torrent client to use these days on the QNAP - it seems to me options are really thin on the ground. The built in download manager just doesn't have enough features.

All the clients seem to be missing from the APP Centre. I added QNAP Club and even paid £10 for a copy of rtorrentpro that I can't even install - in fact I can't get most of the QPKG packages to install from QNAPClub :(

Any clues where to get a feature rich, WORKING torrent client thanks?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: OK - so which client for bittorrent?

Post by dolbyman »

install any version of your choice on vm or container
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

rtorrent recently got a premium edition..... >_>;

i like tixati but a lot of private trackers have blacklisted it :(

transmission is still free :} and... there is a qpkg for it or even a docker app as well.

whatever client you wish to use, if there is no qpkg or docker app (uses container station), then you can use virtual station (VM) and run it from there instead.

whichever torrent client you use, make sure you are using VPN (either on your router) or running from your qnap (using QVPN. i tested with Privateinternetaccess for downloadstation to confirm it works).

You can test if your VPN is protecting your torrent client downloads using leak testers that have a torrent magnet link (make sure you wipe ip using the tools after you do the test)
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-proxy-work ... ss-140419/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
McHaggis69

Post by McHaggis69 »

Thanks so much - sometimes the simplest solutions were right there, but I couldn't see them...
I was busy looking for working QNAP app QPKG's when VM was the solution all along. I'm off to install an OS!
McHaggis69

Post by McHaggis69 »

Just an additional query then on VPN...

I have tried three (yes three) VPN's on the QNAP. None to my satisfaction - mainly because I have a 1Gb fibre connection to the net and all 3 of them took a massive (at least 30%) hit on my speeds. You might argue having a 500Meg connection is still just fine, but I'm paying for a gig so it was galling to pay for another service that was just slowing things down.

Any clue on the best VPN and by best I mean one that doesn't screw bandwidth too much?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

oo... yes... i'm not sure which vpn can hit the max 1gbps.

i'm still on 100mbps (will be upgrading to 800mbps early next year). getting speed reduced by vpn sux >->;

honestly for those speeds i'm not sure which vpn makes the cut. for privacy PIA and NORD VPN are good. Nord vpn probably better because they had some sort of promo discount (not sure if it's still available or not).

if you go to PIA website they have a test page you can see the max speed you can achieve with their service prior to committing.

Not sure how legit this review site is, but they offer their own input for which vpn can achieve best result closest to 1gbps
https://cryptmode.com/fastest-vpn-servi ... bit-speed/

get one with zero logs and is reputable.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
joelang1699
Easy as a breeze

Post by joelang1699 »

How do you make rtorrent use QVPN without all the Qnap traffic going via the vpn? I have rtorrent bonded to one particular port.
Regards
Joe

TVS-EC1080 32Gb Ram 10x WD60EFRX Raid 6

TS-1079 Pro 16Gb Ram 10x WD60EFRX Raid 6

TS-879 Pro 2Gb Ram 3 X WD60EFRX Raid 5

TVS-863 4Gb Ram 3 X WD60EFRX Raid 5
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

so you don't want the qnap to use vpn, only the torrent client?

i believe there is a torrent client bundled together with it, so maybe that will work? but i'm not sure. it uses docker method.
This container contains OpenVPN and Transmission with a configuration
where Transmission is running only when OpenVPN has an active tunnel.
It bundles configuration files for many popular VPN providers to make the setup easier.
https://hub.docker.com/r/haugene/transmission-openvpn/

not sure about rtorrent >_>;

for me i just use qvpn with transmission (no other vpn bundled package). I test with ipleak using the torrent magnet to confirm it works. all traffic to the qnap uses that vpn ^^;

you may need to disable ipv6 (leave it unticked) in your qnap qts network setting to avoid ipleaks.
NAS

Network

Resources
joelang1699
Easy as a breeze

Post by joelang1699 »

Transmissions off the table for me. Rtorrent is far superior and I need it's many options.

When you use QVPN does it route all NAS traffic via the vpn?
Regards
Joe

TVS-EC1080 32Gb Ram 10x WD60EFRX Raid 6

TS-1079 Pro 16Gb Ram 10x WD60EFRX Raid 6

TS-879 Pro 2Gb Ram 3 X WD60EFRX Raid 5

TVS-863 4Gb Ram 3 X WD60EFRX Raid 5
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

what about this one?
binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn
Last pushed: a month ago

Arch Linux running rTorrent with ruTorrent webui and OpenVPN
https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-rtorrentvpn/
this is someone who tried to install and set it up
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... entvpn_on/

rTorrent is a text-based torrent client, based on the libTorrent libraries from Unix.

According to the rTorrent author, Jari Sundell (a.k.a. rakshasa), the goal of rTorrent is… “a focus on high performance and good code“.

ruTorrent, on the other hand, is a powerful web front-end for the command line based torrent client “rtorrent”. It allows you to create, upload and manage all your private torrents in one place.

ruTorrent is designed to emulate the look and feel of µTorrent WebUI so it’ appearance is quite similar to the “parent”. The name “RuTorrent” is the combination of µTorrent and rTorrent. (Seedbox Guide).

In a nutshell…

rTorrent:

-Popular CLI-based bitTorrent client.
-Used frequently in Seedboxes.
-Very light and made strictly for performance.
-Linux native tool.
-ruTorrent

Front-end for the rtorrent
-Open Source (GPLv3 License).
-Extensible and has many custom plugins.
-Supporting all major browsers platform.
https://www.rapidseedbox.com/kb/beginne ... -rutorrent

joelang1699 wrote: When you use QVPN does it route all NAS traffic via the vpn?
tbh i'm not sure about this. for me i route ALL traffic through vpn for the QNAP when i use QVPN. i'm not sure if you can selectively choose what uses the vpn or not for qvpn. maybe someone else knows the answer to this :'
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat2/en/in ... l?qvpn.htm

or there is
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/

:mrgreen:
NAS

Network

Resources
Majister
New here

Post by Majister »

I have tried setting up VPN just for ruTorrent (on QNAP) for a long time, but no avail. It's relatively easy to set up VPN for whole NAS but to have just one port/service/app it seems impossible.

I wish rutorrent would incorporate VPN service or QNAP would get a VPN tool which would allow certain port/service/app to go through VPN. I need VPN free traffic for Plex and remote connection.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

joelang1699 wrote:How do you make rtorrent use QVPN without all the Qnap traffic going via the vpn? I have rtorrent bonded to one particular port.
someone posted a guide for qvpn download station
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=135400#p668580

so if rtorrent has a qpkg, i feel that the procedure ought to be the same? but i don't have rtorrent so i don't know whether the option to set the connection to the qvpn is there or not in appcenter for it :'
NAS

Network

Resources
Midknight
Know my way around

Re: RE: Re: OK - so which client for bittorrent?

Post by Midknight »

Majister wrote:I have tried setting up VPN just for ruTorrent (on QNAP) for a long time, but no avail. It's relatively easy to set up VPN for whole NAS but to have just one port/service/app it seems impossible.

I wish rutorrent would incorporate VPN service or QNAP would get a VPN tool which would allow certain port/service/app to go through VPN. I need VPN free traffic for Plex and remote connection.
Did you a find a way?
Majister
New here

Re: RE: Re: OK - so which client for bittorrent?

Post by Majister »

Midknight wrote:
Majister wrote:I have tried setting up VPN just for ruTorrent (on QNAP) for a long time, but no avail. It's relatively easy to set up VPN for whole NAS but to have just one port/service/app it seems impossible.

Did you a find a way?
Nope
Ferkner
Starting out

Post by Ferkner »

How are people getting stuff to work in Container Station? I've tried Transmission and Deluge and neither work. They all start as soon as they start and provide the following message:

"standard_init_linux.go:185: exec user process caused "exec format error"

I need a client that will let me specify a proxy for it to connect to, like Transmission used to do.

Is there something that works properly through QNAP Club? Qbittorrent and CloudTorrent don't seem to work; the pages are not found when I open them, so I can't even configure them. QTransmission works, but I can't specify a proxy.

How do VMs work, and where do I find them? Or does someone know why none of the programs I tried work?

Return to “Download Station and QGet”