Sudden NFS v4 problems with clients unable to connect. WORKAROUND.

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
CarbonPepper
Starting out

Sudden NFS v4 problems with clients unable to connect. WORKAROUND.

Postby CarbonPepper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 am

I'm just sharing this as I've had strange problems with client machines unable to mount over NFS.
Errors such as:

Code: Select all

mount.nfs: mounting x.x.x.x:/Scratch failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

x.x.x.x = replaces actual IP.

We narrowed this down to a problem with the NFSv4 service on the QNAP. We have a TVS-471 running 4.3.4.0644, and a ticket has been raised, but if you get a similar problem, the error message doesn't help you much, but switching off NFSv4 on the QNAP and switching it back on again will get it working again.

Our symptoms:
All client mounts work correctly, then after some days, (and after a QNAP reboot), clients can no longer connect to shares via NFS and give an error:

# sudo /bin/mount -o rw,tcp,hard,nfsvers=4,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,noatime,intr,_netdev x.x.x.x:/Scratch /media/Scratch
# mount.nfs: mounting x.x.x.x:/Scratch failed, reason given by server: No such file or directory

Nothing has changed on the clients, and if I remove nfsvers=4 from the mount line, the client can connect.

# sudo /bin/mount -o rw,tcp,hard,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,noatime,intr,_netdev x.x.x.x:/Scratch /media/Scratch

The mount completes successfully, showing that the QNAP NFS v4 service has failed.

To workaround:
Control Panel > Win/Mac/NFS > NFS Service > Enable nfs v4 service = No, then save.
Control Panel > Win/Mac/NFS > NFS Service > Enable nfs v4 service = Yes, then save.

Then all clients can immediately connect. It seems that nfs v4 is crashing. However, a reboot of QNAP does not restart NFS v4. Only making the change in the interface brings it back.
TVS-471 with 4x WD Red 3Tb
Mix of clients: Ubuntu Linux, Mac OS, Windows 7, 8.1 & 10.

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”