QVHELPER

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Metria
Getting the hang of things

QVHELPER

Post by Metria »

This is a utility that is supposed to help with streaming videos to VLC Player from nas. Amoung other things it says it works with FIleStation. I downloaded it, it appears to do nothing. I can find no intructions on what it does, how it does it, or how to use it. Called Qnap, they said someone would get back to me, the person that answered didn
t know. Any insights here?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QVHELPER

Post by dolbyman »

previous discussions never came up for an actual usage case

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=138234&p=652152

why would you need an extra program to stream ? .. my VLC (android) streams just fine from my qnap .. without any extra programs
Metria
Getting the hang of things

Post by Metria »

Well they must have made it for something, in my case I was hoping it wouild help me with a windows 10 VM playing videos on the nas. Large files the video is a bit iffie, and the audio is garbage with VLC. Got the video better by playing with VLC setting but not the audio yet. Was just wanting to give it a try and see if it helped, but it just seems to install. Does nothing that I can see.
bidmead
Starting out

Post by bidmead »

For the record, as there seems to be some misunderstanding here, QVHelper was a supplement to the File Station. It added to the File Station's context menu an option to open relevant media files locally, using a local installation of VLC.

It was extraordinarily useful, for example, as a quick way of checking media files on your NAS while inspecting them within the File Station browser view.

QVHelper was abruptly withdrawn from the QNAP Store earlier this year.

--
Chris
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qnap should integrate a capable html5 video player ..depending on the browser, those even support hdr and multichannel audio
tvcenter
New here

Post by tvcenter »

so why then, when on a remote location and I choose a file from the file station to play does it stop me, demand qvhelper?

Return to “Miscellaneous”