UPDATE: QVR Pro 1.3.0.1 - frmsvcg.fcgi???

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
DMC_NAS
New here

UPDATE: QVR Pro 1.3.0.1 - frmsvcg.fcgi???

Post by DMC_NAS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 pm

I have upgraded QVR Pro to 1.3.0.1 and started noticing my overall NAS CPU usage exceeding 80% regularly. I started investigating and noticed multiple instances of a process called "frmsvcg.fcgi" using 0.5% to 23% of CPU usage each after about 24hrs of QVR Pro running (using TOP to monitor). This appears to be abnormally high CPU overhead when the sum of each of these processes is over 35% by themselves. I am unaware of what these processes are but when I restart QVR Pro, these processes significantly reduce their respective CPU usage down to about 0.2% CPU. With that said, it appears "frmsvcg.fcgi" is related to the QVR Pro environment but I'm not completely sure. The Qnvrd process is only using around 18%, which appears to be normal from what I have been experiencing prior to upgrading. This is concerning because these processes are pushing my total CPU usage (with all normal QTS processes) over 80% CPU and my overall NAS experience appears slower. Again, after I restart the QVR Pro process everything settles back down and my overall CPU stays in the <40% range for about 24hrs.

Does anyone know exactly what the "frmsvcg.fcgi" process does? Is anyone else experiencing this same thing and possibly know a fix?

My system is the following:
TVS-951X - Firmware 4.4.1.1081
16 GB Memory
10TB - Raid 1 (General Backup Data) Storage Pool 1
8TB - Raid 1 (QVR Recording Data) Storage Pool 2
10TB - (Single Drive - Hot Spare)
512GB SSD - Raid 1 (Qtier for Storage Pool 1)
512GB SSD - Raid 1 (Cache Acceleration, Storage Pool 1 & 2)

QVR Pro with Gold License,12 cameras continuous recording.

Thanks!
Last edited by DMC_NAS on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: QVR Pro 1.3.0.1 - frmsvcg.fcgi???

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 pm

I'd contact qnap....see if they can debug and fix it in an update

also..wasn't aware that raid1 can have a hotspare

DMC_NAS
New here

Post by DMC_NAS » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:56 am

Opened Ticket: Q-201910-37688. QNAP replied that they will have to find out from developers what this process is.

Please let me know if anyone else has similar issue or suggestions.

Thanks!

justinj0305
Starting out

Post by justinj0305 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:17 am

I'm having the same issue. High CPU from those processes, causing the video feed to stutter and then suddenly catch up every ~2secs.
Only happened since updating from 4.4 beta to 4.4.1.1086

DMC_NAS
New here

Post by DMC_NAS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:12 am

Thanks for the confirmation that someone else is having a similar issue. QNAP support is still trying to arrange a time for the developers to investigate, so I don't have an update yet. I continue to have this issue happen about every 24hrs. When the frmsvcg processes get over 10% each, I proceed to stop the QVR Pro application and then restart to get these processes back down to <1% each. This daily process is getting a little old but hopefully QNAP will have a response soon.

I have since upgraded my TVS-951X Firmware to 4.4.1.1086 and this issue is still happening.

Thanks!

Penguin_NAS
First post

Post by Penguin_NAS » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:47 pm

I noticed this same issue last week after upgrading to 4.4.1.1086 on my TS-1273U.
Top reported 4 running copies of this frmsvcg.fcgi service making my unit run between 45 & 60% CPU utilization all the time.
Post reboot, CPU utilization goes back to a normal 8-15%.

On an unrelated note, this version also broke the QVRPro desktop app. The desktop app upgrades with each successive firmware / QVRPro upgrade. After this upgrade, the desktop app freezes if you try to go from full screen mode to window-mode (ie Resize the screen.) Although it seems to run fine in full-screen mode, I have a ticket open with QNAP and they say they don't have an estimate on when it will be fixed.

I'd suggest skipping this version and waiting until a later one where these will hopefully be fixed.

DMC_NAS
New here

UPDATE: Able to replicate issue.. QVR Pro 1.3.0.1 - frmsvcg.fcgi???

Post by DMC_NAS » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 am

UPDATE:

I have been able to replicate the issue. It appears whenever the CRON job "/sbin/vs_refresh" starts, this is when the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes instantly begin using >10% CPU each. This pushed my entire CPU usage to >80% for several hours. If I stop the QVR Pro program and restart it, all of the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes go back to only using <1% CPU. If I let the NAS continue to run (not restarting QVR Pro), the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes will eventually go back to normal after about 7 hours. I did some quick google searches and it appears the "vs_refresh" updates the shared folder space usage and in this case appears to be conflicting with QVR Pro while performing this task. I have temporarily block the CRON job "/sbin/vs_refresh" with a # to prevent this from running until a fix is created by QNAP. I have updated the QNAP support ticket with this information, so hopefully they can come up with a long term solution to fix.

Please let me know if anyone is aware of any issues with me blocking the CRON job "/sbin/vs_refresh" from running while I wait on QNAP developers?

Thanks,

msmith9xr4
First post

Re: UPDATE: QVR Pro 1.3.0.1 - frmsvcg.fcgi???

Post by msmith9xr4 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:43 pm

I confirm this as well. "Ultra-critical network down emergency" is how I'd label it. Just unacceptable. QNAP please patch immediately.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:19 pm

you need to open a ticket..posting here won't help

mahlzeit
Starting out

Post by mahlzeit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Any update on this?

DMC_NAS
New here

Post by DMC_NAS » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:14 am

Well, I have had a few back and forth chats regarding this ticket, below is a copy of those conversations.

It appears it is a known issue and it is related to "Recording File Explorer" Function and if it is enabled? Not getting a clear answer if disabling the "vs_refresh" will cause additional issues or not, waiting on a better response.

Transcript:

************************************************************************************************************************
Customer
2019-11-08 23:49:44

I have been able to replicate the issue. It appears whenever the CRON job "/sbin/vs_refresh" starts, this is when the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes instantly begin using >10% CPU each. If I stop the QVR Pro program and restart it, all of the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes only use <1% CPU. If I let the NAS continue to run (not restarting QVR Pro), the "frmsvcg.fcgi" processes will eventually go back to normal after about 7 hours. I did some quick google searches and it appears the "vs_refresh" updates the shared folder space usage and in this case appears to be conflicting with QVR Pro while performing this task. I have temporarily block the CRON job "/sbin/vs_refresh" with a # to prevent this from running until a fix is created by QNAP. Please let me know what the QNAP developers have to say about this?

Regards,
Dirk

************************************************************************************************************************
Customer
2019-11-11 23:03:35
Hey Jimmy,

Did you get my last response? Have you passed the information I provided onto developers?

Dirk

Support Team
2019-11-12 20:41:51

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your input. I've relayed your message and they confirmed this issue of Cron job "vs_refresh" cause frmsvcg.fcgi high CPU usage is a known issue.. Our developers have asked if you can do the following to disable the "Recording File Explorer" function can reduce the CPU usage.

"Recording File Explorer" Function
QVR Pro >> Recording Storage >> Recording File Explorer >> disable the checkbox

Regards,
Jimmy

Customer
2019-11-13 05:34:20
Hey Jimmy,

I found the "Recording File Explorer" function and it is enabled. This is a feature I would like to keep so I don't want to uncheck the box permanently. Are you wanting me to confirm that unchecking the box helps the issue or are you wanting me to uncheck it to permanently address the issue? Will the developers be working on a permanent fix so I can leave the box checked?

Regards,
Dirk

Support Team
2019-11-13 23:47:45

Hi Dirk,

I'm asking our developers if there's an ETA on this fix. If you want the CPU usage to drop for now, you would need to disable this "Recording File Explorer" function.

Regards,
Jimmy

Customer
2019-11-15 01:13:29
Hi Jimmy,

I have already disabled the Cron job "vs_refresh" which is also preventing high CPU usage. Is there any harm is leaving the "vs_refresh" disabled until developers find a solution?

Thanks,
Dirk

Support Team
2019-11-15 02:21:33

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll relay your message and find out. For now, they said the new QVR Pro 1.5.0.0 will address this issue. I'm awaiting for an approximate eta on this.

Regards,
Jimmy

Customer
2019-11-18 19:56:02
Hey Jimmy,

Let me know what you find out from developers if there is any harm not running "vs_refresh" until they find a solution?

Thanks,
Dirk

Support Team
2019-11-19 03:11:20

Hi Dirk,

I'm awaiting for an answer.

Regards,
Jimmy

Customer
2019-11-27 00:20:46
Hey Jimmy,

Your service ticket system keeps trying to close this ticket if I don't type something every few days, so do you have an update?

Regards,
Dirk

Support Team
2019-11-27 04:31:00

Hi Dirk,

Sorry about the delay. This is what our developers said:
vs_refresh is a process for calculating the size of all shared folders and files in the QTS hard disk. The main purpose is to display Size, Folders, Files information in Control Panel >> Shared Folders webpage.

You can stop the process by the following step:
step 1. vim /etc/config/crontab
step 2. remove vs_refresh
insert i to edit mode, and delete "0 3 * * * /sbin/vs_refresh"
insert "Esc" to exit edit mode
insert :wq to save config
step 3. crontab /etc/config/crontab

It will stop the vs_refresh until the QTS reboots.

Regards,
Jimmy

Customer
2019-12-07 01:01:14
Jimmy,

I already disabled my cron job for "vs_refresh" on 11/8/2019. My original question from 11/15/2019 was "Is there any harm in not running 'vs_refresh' until they find a solution"? Please answer that question.

Thanks,
Dirk

mahlzeit
Starting out

Post by mahlzeit » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for the detailed update!

mahlzeit
Starting out

Post by mahlzeit » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:53 pm

Still no resolution, I suppose?

parkerc
Easy as a breeze

Post by parkerc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 am

Just posting here to say I’ve just noticed this frmsvcg.fcgi process consuming loads of my CPU today - making the NAS very unresponsive for a long period.

Seems it’s still here..
Model Name : QNAP TS-253be (16GB) & TS-453 Pro (8GB)
Firmware Version:: QTS Latest
OS Version : Apple iOS (iPad/Safari Browser)
Number & Type of HDDs : 2 WD Reds, 3TB each, in Raid 1
Website (When I have time) : http://www.nodecentral.co.uk

Return to “Surveillance Solution”