Unable to configure Google Gmail SMTP server for notifications

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Unable to configure Google Gmail SMTP server for notifications

Post by jk_sigtermans » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 am

Hello,

Since recently, I am unable to configure a Google / Gmail SMTP server for notifications.
In the Control Panel -> Notifications -> Email settings, when selecting Gmail, there is a Google/Gmail popup showing a selection of my Gmail addresses.
When selecting the appropriate address, the popup says: 'Sign in with Google temporarily disabled for this app'.
I tried to lower the accounts privacy settings, but no luck.
According to this, an action by QNAP is required: https://support.google.com/mail/thread/2919359?hl=en
Currently I am missing disk full messages which is a problem for me.
How can I / We solve this?

The device is a TS-112 and it has the latest firmware installed 4.3.3.1098 (7/11/2019).

Cheers
Kjeld

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to configure Google Gmail SMTP server for notifications

Post by dolbyman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:05 am

contact qnap via ticket, do this asap, as your NAS is close to EOL.. so the sooner they fix it (if they bother) the better

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am

jk_sigtermans wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 am
Then you're probably did something wrong there. Try again!

I have recently allowed insecure apps (or whatever it's called) on my Gmail accounts without any problems. Of course it would be even better if Qnap could (if possible) do whatever is necessary to have the app verified but as your TS-212 have received it's last feature update (only major security flaws will be fixed for another 12 months), I wouldn't expect it to ever be released for your current unit.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Post by jk_sigtermans » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:03 am

P3R wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55 am
jk_sigtermans wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 am
Then you're probably did something wrong there. Try again!
How do you figure I am the one who did something wrong... :| The link I enclosed shows that QNAP should update their software to meet Google's security standards.
To clarify: that privacy setting is just one on/off slide allowing 'less secure apps' to use the Gmail servers: https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps
dolbyman wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:05 am
contact qnap via ticket, do this asap, as your NAS is close to EOL.. so the sooner they fix it (if they bother) the better
Well ok that is some bad news. I will try that, thanks.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:22 am

jk_sigtermans wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:03 am
How do you figure I am the one who did something wrong...
Becuse it works for me, on several systems. I would think that it work for many other users as well as otherwise we would probably have a much larger stream of complaints here.

I don't remember exactly what I did but if that switch isn't enough, then there's probably something else in your configuration that's the problem.
The link I enclosed shows that QNAP should update their software to meet Google's security standards.
It's the Google support site (and the subject is probably about Android apps) so of course the only presented solution is for the rest of the world to adapt to Google. :roll:

As I said, it would be even better if Qnap decided to spend their development resources on implementing the Google standards but since it's by far not a core feature in the Qnap platform it's a bit optimistic to expect it to be fixed immediately.

You now have the options of being angry at me and Qnap or try to find the workaround for your problem.

Have a happy new year!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Post by jk_sigtermans » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:45 am

P3R wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:22 am
...otherwise we would probably have a much larger stream of complaints here.
This I expected initially.
...then there's probably something else in your configuration that's the problem.
Still doesn't mean I did something wrong. It suddenly stopped working.
...of course the only presented solution is for the rest of the world to adapt to Google.
Which is kind of logical, since it is Google and Google is shy of ruling the world.
You now have the options of being angry at me and Qnap or...
Why even think that. You're trying to help. Very good.
Have a happy new year!
A gott nytt år to you too.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:28 am

jk_sigtermans wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:45 am
Still doesn't mean I did something wrong. It suddenly stopped working.
When it suddenly fails it ususally is because Google reset that flag occasionally or they may have they changed something else as well with the Gmail service or your firewall/router had an update so something changed there.

What I meant is that you did something wrong when trying to correct for whatever happened, based on that other have the same thing working.

alexmatthew
Starting out

Post by alexmatthew » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 am

You might need to enable 2FA and then generate an app specific code (password) on your gmail account settings. I've had to do that to get various 3rd party app type systems to work with gmail lately.
TS-253A-8GB- RAID1-2x6TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
TS-253A-4GB- RAID1-2x4TB WD Red NAS
TS-231P-1GB- RAID0-2x1TB WD Red NAS

jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Post by jk_sigtermans » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 am

alexmatthew wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 am
You might need to enable 2FA and then generate an app specific code (password) on your gmail account settings. I've had to do that to get various 3rd party app type systems to work with gmail lately.
Yes, THAT did the trick. Thank you very much.
I followed these simple steps here:
https://www.eff.org/nl/deeplinks/2016/1 ... and-google
And then in the Control Station I configured the Google mail account NOT using the default Gmail option, but the custom option, with these settings: smtp.gmail.com, 587, bladiblah@gmail.com, UN=bladiblah, the PW, TLS connection.

Thanks!

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 am

I don't have 2FA enabled on any of my Gmail NAS accounts so it's not a requirement.

I do use the custom option though but I haven't done an analysis of any differences from that.

alexmatthew
Starting out

Post by alexmatthew » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:56 am

It used to be you couldn't get an app password if you didn't have 2FA on. Maybe that has changed. Either way, that and the manual settings as you said for port 587 etc have always worked for me. I didn't actually know there was an option to use the gmail authenticator process on the QNAP now.
TS-253A-8GB- RAID1-2x6TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
TS-253A-4GB- RAID1-2x4TB WD Red NAS
TS-231P-1GB- RAID0-2x1TB WD Red NAS

jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Post by jk_sigtermans » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 am

Considering I use an account that is explicitly used by the NAS, I have no problem enabling the 2FA on that account.
I have not checked if it was necessary, but I have no problem with an extra security layer. In the end the app specific password solution helped.

jmwood42
New here

Post by jmwood42 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:35 am

---updated---

Same thing happened to me with my new TVS-672N. Gmail working fine on my old TS-451+. However, it was only when i used the latest QFinder app for mac that this occurred. Going through the SMTP setup in QTS from within the QNAP's web login worked fine with no errors.

Something you might try is to login to your gmail account after receiving the error and there should be an email called "Critical security alert" alerting to the blocked sign in attempt from a non-google app

"Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one else has access."

Click the check activity link in that email and it gives an option to confirm if it was or wasn't you making the attempt, then click "learn more" for instructions how to allow the app.

use this link to turn on less secure apps, but know that google advises against it for security reasons.
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 50126&rd=1

hope that helps

jk_sigtermans
Starting out

Post by jk_sigtermans » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:56 am

jmwood42 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:35 am
Something you might try is to login to your gmail account after receiving the error and there should be an email called "Critical security alert" alerting to the blocked sign in attempt from a non-google app

"Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one else has access."

Click the check activity link in that email and it gives an option to confirm if it was or wasn't you making the attempt, then click "learn more" for instructions how to allow the app.

use this link to turn on less secure apps, but know that google advises against it for security reasons.
https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 50126&rd=1

hope that helps
Thanks but I have tried enabling access for less secure apps before and that did not work for me. The app password solution did.
It seems to me, when it comes to the main password, Google these days only allows access to Google mail at mail.google.com and Google mail apps. Apps Google thinks are secure enough.
When using SMTP, and even POP3 to another Gmail account ( ! ) , Google only seems to allow app passwords.

Cheers

Return to “Miscellaneous”