How to Delete a Folder created in CACHEDEV1_DATA with path pointing to root /

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
OneCD
Ask me anything

Re: How to Delete a Folder created in CACHEDEV1_DATA with path pointing to root /

Post by OneCD » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am

PeeBee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:14 am
...so how can I check my Test symlinks loopbacks?
Let's have a look at where your new share really points to. It won't be the filesystem root, so I'm guessing it's the share root.

Can you please SSH into your NAS as 'admin', run the following and paste the result back here?

Code: Select all

ll /share

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PeeBee
Starting out

Re: How to Delete a Folder created in CACHEDEV1_DATA with path pointing to root /

Post by PeeBee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am

Hi
sorry for delay ....I ran ll /share and noticed a few things here
1)there is a folder THD (in red) which when looking in File station does not exist...
2) a folder called external which I don't know if this correct (as I had disconnected External Hard drive to see if folder disappeared but it did not, it seems I cannot get into this Dir to view any data?),
3)my bespoke root dir is shown in screen shots below ..let us know your thoughts .
I might have some corrupted Directories
Folders.jpg
I was thinking I may have to copy all my folders into say 5 top level directories then I can run (1) HBSync jobs paired folders ? what do you think ?

thanks Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

PeeBee wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am
1)there is a folder THD (in red) which when looking in File station does not exist...
Red in a long (wide) filelist display usually means a broken symlink. :(

This can happen in [/share] if the shared folder configuration exists in [/etc/config/smb.conf] but the source directory has been removed. If you really don't want that phantom shared folder, you can remove it just as you did the other two earlier in this topic. Then, you can either reboot your NAS, or else manually remove the broken symlink:

rm /share/THD
PeeBee wrote:
2) a folder called external which I don't know if this correct (as I had disconnected External Hard drive to see if folder disappeared but it did not, it seems I cannot get into this Dir to view any data?),
The 'external' directory is normal. You can ignore that one as it's a default in QTS.
PeeBee wrote:
3)my bespoke root dir is shown in screen shots below ..let us know your thoughts .
It's pointing to the real location your shared folders are stored in, which is correct. So, no problem there.

Can you run a size check at the CLI and compare it to the shared folder size for 'Root' in your QTS control panel? Please ensure you manually refresh the shared folder size by clicking the button with the 2 green arrows to the right of that share. It may take a while to run.

Here's the command to run:

du -sh /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
PeeBee wrote:
I might have some corrupted Directories
That's possible. If we can't find anything obvious, you may need to perform a filesystem check.
PeeBee wrote:
I was thinking I may have to copy all my folders into say 5 top level directories then I can run (1) HBSync jobs paired folders ? what do you think ?
Well, it's a solution, but not a pretty one. I still hope we can make this work without resorting to such drastic measures. ;)

The idea of creating a root share and backing-up to USB drive is what I used to do back before QTS was called QTS. So we know it works. My shared folders weren't as numerous as yours, though. :DD

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PeeBee
Starting out

Post by PeeBee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 am

Here are the results and from your command I also did a --apparent-size command see the top size 265T with red arrow I also did this in the /Share/CACHEDEV1_DATA.. same result .....in the root Folder in File station I am getting a few .Files but all the rest are correct and NO repeat FOLDERS Of Root Or CACHEDEV1_DATA but the size in QTS of root folder? :shock:
cli.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OneCD
Ask me anything

Post by OneCD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm

I'm not sure what you're saying, but the pictures help. :DD

BTW: are you using any kind of backup versioning on your NAS?

Let's check your data sizes again, but this time, we'll exclude the hidden QTS stuff:

du -sh --exclude '.*' /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
If you'd like to keep looking on your own, suggest using a utility called ncdu. It shows the size of each directory element, and allows directory tree navigation too. Download the static binary appropriate to your NAS architecture.

PeeBee
Starting out

Post by PeeBee » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:10 pm

OneCD wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm
I'm not sure what you're saying, but the pictures help. :DD

BTW: are you using any kind of backup versioning on your NAS? Nope !

Let's check your data sizes again, but this time, we'll exclude the hidden QTS stuff:

du -sh --exclude '.*' /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
filechk.jpg
perfect

If you'd like to keep looking on your own, suggest using a utility called ncdu. It shows the size of each directory element, and allows directory tree navigation too. Download the static binary appropriate to your NAS architecture.

will do...I have a look at this also I'll keep hacking away at this ....if I find a solution i'll post back :S
cheers Peter

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”