How to control which folders serve multimedia content

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
giskard
Getting the hang of things

How to control which folders serve multimedia content

Post by giskard » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:23 pm

After setting up the storage pool on my NAS, I saw a background task running saying that it was indexing files and thought nothing of it, but now that everything has settled down I'm finding that when browsing music on the QNAP using any DLNA client app, it's listing albums and artists for files that are on the NAS, but are not in the folder configured for multimedia sharing from the NAS as I've no wish to make them available via DLNA. Obviously when I try to play a track that's listed but is not in the multimedia share folder, then I get an error on the DLNA client saying that the music track cannot be loaded. Now I'm guessing that the NAS has scanned everything on the disk volume, identifying media content such as music and videos and is publishing those as being available, even though only the files in a specified shared Multimedia folder have been made available for sharing and playback.

How do I get rid of the extraneous albums/artists that are being listed to DLNA clients? I haven't installed any other multimedia servers so what's running is just the QNAP one.

tgsbn

Re: How to control which folders serve multimedia content

Post by tgsbn » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:59 am

Which QTS version? I'm running 4.3.6 and do not have that problem, but I have read in the forums that 4.4.1 introduced that behaviour - which is the reason why I'm staying with 4.3.6.

giskard

Post by giskard » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:14 am

I updated to the latest version just today.

giskard

Post by giskard » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:29 pm

An update on this since contacting QNAP support in the UK:

QTS indexes and generates thumbnails for _all_ multimedia content on the NAS in order to display icons, thumbnails and metadata info in File Station. The issue with browsing music on the QNAP using any DLNA client app and it listing albums and artists for files that are on the NAS, but not in the folders configured for multimedia sharing from the NAS, has been resolved in Media Streaming add-on_441.1.3.0_0623 with Media Console v1.1.3

spile
Know my way around

Post by spile » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:39 pm

I had all sort of problems with the way my client was presenting music files from my NAS. I found MinimServer solved those issues and it is in the Qnap App Store.

Return to “Media Streaming”