Which is best protocol?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
JimCurtis
Starting out

Which is best protocol?

Post by JimCurtis » Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 am

I'm a QNAP NAS newbie, so forgive me if this is too basic. When I connect to my NAS over 10 GbE, my four options on a dropdown menu are:

SMB/CIFS (Supports Final Cut Pro 10.3 and later)
FTP
AFP
NFS

What is the benefit of choosing any one of these over another?

I tried searching the forum before I posted.

Thank you.

homerbrew
New here

Re: Which is best protocol?

Post by homerbrew » Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 am

They all have their pros and cons, but the what you choose really depends on what protocols your clients need. If you are Mac household, then all those protocols may or may not be used. If you are a Windows household, then most likely SMB might be the only one you would ever use. Security wise, SMB and AFP will be the two most secure.

SMB/CIFS - is the Windows sharing protocol. It has been adopted by many systems including modern Linux and Mac systems.
FTP - is an older UNIX based transfer protocol, it is antiquated and I don't normally recommend it unless required for some reason
AFP - is the Mac file sharing protocol. Older Macs used this for sharing, modern Macs use this in addition or instead of SMB
NFS - is an older UNIX based file sharing protocol supported by most UNIX based systems like UNIX, Linux and Macs but limited support on Windows.

JimCurtis
Starting out

Post by JimCurtis » Thu May 14, 2020 4:01 am

Thank you not only for your answer, but for the details!

torch1
Getting the hang of things

Post by torch1 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:52 am

Apple states in this document https://developer.apple.com/library/arc ... Q/FAQ.html (2nd Q) that AFP is deprecated - I would not recommend using it.
SMB is more cross platform and constantly being improved - go with it.

Return to “Mac OS”