Logged in as ADMIN but can't create folders/rename root folders?

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
peanutismint
Getting the hang of things

Logged in as ADMIN but can't create folders/rename root folders?

Post by peanutismint »

I'm logged into my QNAP TS-231 on my home network as ADMIN but for some reason I can't create or rename folders in my root drive. Any idea what permissions I need to set to do this on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 or do I have to edit a setting on the NAS itself??
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Logged in as ADMIN but can't create folders/rename root folders?

Post by dolbyman »

unclear what the issue is...what happens when you try to create a shared folder?
peanutismint

Post by peanutismint »

It lets me do that, but I didn't assume that was the same thing as just creating a folder.... To me, 'shared' means available to people with whom I give access over the internet....no?
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Don't rename root folders you will break functionality or brick your nas.

Though you Nas is running on Linux. It is not open to abuse. It is not a normal operating system to do as you please.

What is the purpose of renaming root folders? Does your Nas not work already?

The shared folders are where you store your data. You make is available to your clients on your lan.

Do not share folders or the nas over the internet unless you want to be hacked.

If you need access to the mass from the internet then use a VPN.

I suggest you make sure malware remover is installed and enabled, and perhaps security advisor is also enabled and run. This will harden your Nas to make it less likely to breaches.

Sent from my OnePlus 7Pro using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
peanutismint

Post by peanutismint »

Ok, many questions about that response:

1) It’s my NAS to do with what I please, so surely deleting or renaming a root folder I MADE like ‘Music’ or ‘photos’ isn’t going to break anything? Regardless of ‘why’ I want to do it? It’s not like I’m trying to delete or rename any system folders...

2) why is the function of access over the internet even available if it’s going to lead to me getting “hacked”? Surely the qnap ‘mycloud’ feature is secure? Also, surely the only way I could be hacked is if someone somehow guessed the link and the password? I use NordVPN but I have no idea why you’re suggesting I use it with my NAS or even how to do it or how it would make access more secure...?
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1)some default folder are used by the system..renaming them breaks system apps ...you will see

2) qnap loves marketing..but does not invest in capable security programmers...3 major malware attacks last year alone..including ransomware and everything..google it
vpn access has nothing to do with privacy paid vpn providers
peanutismint

Post by peanutismint »

1) I don’t really care for system apps because none of them work that well to, for example, share my music/videos. The TS-231 is so slow and I didn’t realise this before buying it so at this point I’m just using the NAS as a dumb hard drive connected to my home network/the internet.

2) thanks I’ll look into that. So the vpn you’re meaning is something I would run on my NAS, rather than a way to connect to the internet securely like NordVPN?
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) try jt out..if anything important breaks you can always restore form external backups (or just hide the folders)

2)ideally the vpn server would run on your router or firewall...if nothing else is available it could run on the nas as well (forwarding anything to the nas from the web, is a personal nono for me)
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

peanutismint wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:50 am Ok, many questions about that response:

1) It’s my NAS to do with what I please, so surely deleting or renaming a root folder I MADE like ‘Music’ or ‘photos’ isn’t going to break anything? Regardless of ‘why’ I want to do it? It’s not like I’m trying to delete or rename any system folders...

2) why is the function of access over the internet even available if it’s going to lead to me getting “hacked”? Surely the qnap ‘mycloud’ feature is secure? Also, surely the only way I could be hacked is if someone somehow guessed the link and the password? I use NordVPN but I have no idea why you’re suggesting I use it with my NAS or even how to do it or how it would make access more secure...?
I think you do not have a complete understanding of the QNAP NAS business model.

Yes, the hardware is yours do with as you wish - within the technical limitations.

The QTS OS on the other hand is not yours to do with. QTS is QNAPs basterdization of linux with a lot of frankencode thrown in for good measure, so users have to "play" within the QNAP sandbox and personal changes are limited.

If you want to have a completely open-to-do-with-as-you-choose QNAP NAS, then check out the moderz area and install something like Debian on the NAS, then you will be able to do whatever you want in terms of OS and programs/services.

As for the Internet access, don't drink the QNAP marketing kool-aid. Yes, it is possible to access the QTS apps over the Internet, but that does not mean you should. QNAP does not write their QTS apps to be secure, they write them to be functional, any security is just an after thought once a vulnerability has been discovered and added to the CVE database.

If you really need to access the QTS apps over the Internet, then access them over a VPN, and make sure your VPN endpoint is not the NAS - in other words, run your home VPN server on some device other than the NAS.
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)

Return to “Mac OS”