DLNA Screwed up after QNAP Update 4.4.3.1354 build 20200702

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
jon96789
Know my way around

DLNA Screwed up after QNAP Update 4.4.3.1354 build 20200702

Post by jon96789 »

I foolishly updated my QNAP TS-453 Pro to firmware update 4.4.3.1354 build 20200702... After the update it prompted me to update the Multimedia Console, Media Streaming Add-on, Video Station, Music Station and Photo Station.

The first issue I encountered was that the Media Streaming Add-on no longer would save any settings and stayed at the default settings. The second issue is that my directories on my NAS is fine, but all the directories accessed via DLNA are no longer sorted alphabetically. It is in a jumbled mess, it is not sorted by date or by embedded info. The third issue is than when I move a subfolder to another folder, the subfolder move appears okay on the NAS, but DLNA still shows the subfolder in its original location and the files in the folder as inaccessible. It does not show the subfolder listed in its new location.

I rebooted the NAS twice and the issues remained. I reverted my QNAP firmware to the previous version which fixed the non-responding Media Streaming Add-on issue but the directories issues with DLNA still remain. I also tried re-indexing the NAS, that did not fix the issue. In desperation, I purchased the Twonky DLNA client and installed it on my QNAP. Twonky takes forever to initialize and did nothing to fix the DLNA directories issues.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.
jon96789
Know my way around

Re: DLNA Screwed up after QNAP Update 4.4.3.1354 build 20200702

Post by jon96789 »

I figured out the issue is caused by the updated Media Streaming Add-on 441.1.3.0... The updated version The Media Streaming add-on 441.1.3.1 ( 2020/07/22 ) is supposed to fix the issue but it does not. I reverted back to a prior 441.1.2.0 version in order to enable saving settings in the add-on. The issues with mis-sorted directories and the DLNA folders not updating when files/folders are moved is still there. In the meantime, I got a Twonkey license to get my streaming back up and running but i still want DLNA working for my other devices that does not support Twonkey.

I opened a ticket with QNAP and got a response. They wanted me to connect with them using the Help Desk app. I logged in and opened the app and waited for 90 minutes. The screen displayed "Connection waiting. Our support team will shortly arrange a remote connection session." but nothing happened so i finally logged out.
constvoid
Starting out

Post by constvoid »

It can take hours or even days for them to work through their queue of tickets to get to yours - you can simply leave the helpdesk remote support option enabled and they'll do their investigation when they can.
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

I found a workaround for the DLNA issue. The problem is that the Multimedia Console 1.1.3 does not refresh indexing when changes are done on the NAS for DLNA sources.

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. In the Applications section on the bottom, launch the DLNA Media Server.
3. Click on the Scan Now button.

This will force the DLNA Media Server to do a scan for any indexing updates and takes only a few minutes. This way you do not have to do a complete re-index of all the files on the server which can takes hours.
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

After several tests, i am suspecting that the primary cause of all of the DLNA issues not updating the directories is the Multimedia Console 1.1.3... Unfortunately, QNAP does not allow you to revert to a prior version. I even reverted my QTS to 4.4.1 and it would not allow me to revert or remove 1.1.3 to 1.1.2...
jon96789
Know my way around

Post by jon96789 »

QNAP support was able to revert the Multimedia Console from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2... Right now, it appears that my issues are resolved. Reverting the version caused the console to re-index the 88,000+ files on my NAS.

It definitely fixed my directory sort order, it is now sorting correctly. I will have to see if indexing is updating automatically once the re-indexing is complete. Lesson learned. do NOT upgrade the NAS firmware if it is running okay...
journeyman
New here

Post by journeyman »

New user - resisting signing onto the forum, but this DLNA issue is just beyond a joke.

This is seriously the clunkiest, nastiest, useless thing I've ever bought.

Oh sure, access the Mulitmedia Drives by PC is whiz, bang fabulous. But this DLNA garbage is beyond worthless. I've tried to make it work for days - clicked every damned refresh button I can find. Reset the machine, reset the TV, sent a support ticket (who asked me to send a screenshot - of what? The TV???) I read this post and the general advice is to downdate your Multimedia consol. How do you even do that?

What kind of stupid testing processes do they have in place that ** up the bread and butter of the machine?

But then something changes mysteriously days later with no explanation. Not the thing you wanted changed mind you. Just some random crap that QNAP decides to change for no particular reason.

Then I tried doing other things it's supposed to be fabulous at...nope. Clunky, non-intuitive, messy. Requires multiple applications to perform a basic connectivity task.

Conclusion: this extremely expensive paperweight doesn't f%^&ing work!

If you're considering purchasing one, and you happen upon this post, I suggest you buy a baseball bat and beat yourself repeatedly over the head with it. You'll get more success and feel better for the price!
albumman
Easy as a breeze

Post by albumman »

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps their fine print says "subject to change" like other companies. One example was when I purchased my TS-212P it was advertised as having Twonky. Several years later they removed it in a fw update. After many complaints, it was back as long as your sn was within a specific range. Music Station has always been clunky and slow but thankfully the NAS simply houses my music and freely access it with Foobar or other clients on my devices.
TS-212P QTS: 4.3.3.1864 build 20211212
2 x Seagate ST3000VN000 (RAID 1)
journeyman
New here

Post by journeyman »

Thanks for the response. The most prominent flaw is the fine print clause. After much research on the capability, including all the professional youtube videos hyping it up, I suppose I didn't go looking for the fine print to determine what the QNAP history was going to tell me about their weak inability to support their product.

There do seem to be alternatives, but for QNAP not to provide a working system is very poor.

The hardware is excellent, but the operating system and the applications for it is very badly designed - which is a damned shame because there does seem to be so much potential.

Again I stress: if you're considering buying this device, yes, it has it's fine qualities, but usability is not for the faint of heart.

Return to “Media Streaming”