Looking for tutorials on how to set up

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
stackemup
New here

Looking for tutorials on how to set up

Post by stackemup » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 am

Good Day,
I could not identify where to post my question so I'm starting here. First time post and really excited about this product.

I just unboxed and loaded a QNAP TVS-872XT. I followed the instructions on the Quick Install Guide and read the manual. I could not find any documents on how to complete the set up after installing the HDDs and turning it on. I stopped where it says to go to: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/utilities/essentials because I got lost in the minutia of information and terms I do not understand.

Specifics:
(1) I will be the only person accessing the QNAP via thunderbolt 3.
(2) I want to set up two RAID 5 configurations. The first will consist of 5 HDDs (slots 1-5). The second, 3 HDDs (slots 6-8). I will then have two additional external 4-Bay enclosures which will serve as back-up 01 and back-up 02 of the QNAP.
(3) I plan to utilize Carbon Copy Cloner, but I recall the QNAP can also perform this tasks. I would be interested in feedback from forum members on which to utilize.
(4) macOS Catalina 10.15.5

So at this point the QNAP fully loaded, powered on but not connected to a computer (thunderbolt 3). I assume the first thing I should do is install an operating systems and/or see if there are any updates for the QNAP. If you can direct me on where to start and/or step by step instructions I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advanced.

stackemup
New here

Re: Looking for tutorials on how to set up

Post by stackemup » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:06 am

I connected the QNAP to my laptop (MacBook Pro) through TB3. It does not appear on the computer, including Disk Utility. I rebooted the laptop with the QNAP connected and still the same results. All of the drive bay lights are on (green) and a STATUS light on the front of the console constantly blinks.

stackemup
New here

Post by stackemup » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm

OK. I re-read the manual and determined that I had to install the QTS. In order to install the QTS, you need to use the Qfinder Pro. I downloaded and installed the Qfinder Pro, but received the error that the Qfinder Pro could not locate the NAS. I followed the provided suggestions, but it still would not appear on my computer. I restarted the QNAP and then it appeared in the Qfinder. I successfully installed the QTS (manual pages 39-40). After completion a page shows up with two options: Go to NAS Management or Tutorials for Thunderbolt applications. When I attempt to login into the QNAP, I receive the following error: "Your login credentials are incorrect or your account is no longer valid. Contact administrator."

I know the username and password are correct as my Mac auto saves and fills in the information. Any suggestions beyond contacting the administrator?

stackemup
New here

Post Reseting Password with Button Reset

Post by stackemup » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am

Per QNAP, I reset the password by holding the 'reset' button for 3 seconds. I successfully logged into my QNAP, but now it shows "Select IP Address" which is set to an IP address with the name I assigned the QNAP and the word thunderbolt. Below is "Select Protocol" with several options, and a separate box "Add mounted folders to 'favorites' in Finder." I am not familiar with the Select Protocol Options. I am only using this with a Mac computer. The options are:
SMB/CIFS (Supports Final Cut Pro 10)
FTP
AFP
NFS
NFS (Final Cut Pro)

I cannot go any further until I select an option. Which should I select?

stackemup
New here

Post by stackemup » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:47 am

Ok. I just spent the past hour with QNAP tech support getting all of my questions answered. I absolutely love their customer support.
Everything is done and running. All I am waiting for now is the synchronization -- 12+ hour estimate.

This topic is done and closed.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”