Static IP Address Still Obtaining DNS Server Automatically?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jdmba
Starting out

Static IP Address Still Obtaining DNS Server Automatically?

Post by jdmba » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:05 am

I have a TVS-672XT.

It seems to constantly change IP addresses, requiring me to re-log in via explorer and by the web, so I wanted to put in a static IP address.

Per the online manual, it is as simple as configuing the desired IPv4 in Network & Virtual Switch.

But the online manual does not mention that doing that forces the DNS to no longer obtain addresses automatically.

If I go to se the IPv4 static IP, it will no longer accept "obtain DNS server address automatically".

Any idea how I can set a IPv4 static IP but still obtain the DNS server address automatically?

Thanks!

AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: Static IP Address Still Obtaining DNS Server Automatically?

Post by AlastairStevenson » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:15 pm

If I go to se the IPv4 static IP, it will no longer accept "obtain DNS server address automatically".
That's normal on the IP configuration on any device.

Using DHCP provides an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNSs as a minimum from the DHCP server.
Not using DHCP requires that you must set up all of the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS manually.
On a home network you'd generally use the LAN gateway/router as the DNS server - alternatively you can use an external one such as Google's 8.8.8.8
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

jdmba
Starting out

Re: Static IP Address Still Obtaining DNS Server Automatically?

Post by jdmba » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 am

Thank you. I got it working, and wound up using Google!

Return to “Miscellaneous”