Replaced chassis not recognising disks

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
ithrbruce
New here

Replaced chassis not recognising disks

Post by ithrbruce » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi,

I have a QNAP TS-453U-RP, which failed when it could no longer be accessed over the network. The disks were not compromised. The main chassis was replaced by an external engineer and the original hard disks were placed into the new chassis.

However, when the NAS boots up, it does not recognise the disks. It requires an initial setup, which, it says, will erase the contents of the disks. I am wary of starting that in case it goes ahead with that operation without giving any further recovery options.

I can ping the device over the network, but I can't connect to its internal web browser. I am using the QFinder software, which does find it and identify it. It states that the latest firmware is required, but when I download it from the QNAP website and try to install it with QFinder, it says "the selected firmware file is not with the correct model." The firmware file is "TS-X53U_20200702-4.4.3.1354.img" which is certainly the right one.

My disks are set up as RAID 1. If I removed one disk from the mirror and initialised the NAS, essentially trashing the inserted disk, but getting full control of it, would I somehow be able to get back to where I was if I re-inserted the other disk?

Would that work? How would I do it? Or is there a better option?

Thank you.

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Replaced chassis not recognising disks

Post by dolbyman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 pm

firmware needs to be on the latest one for migration..otherwise you get the noted issues (disks not recognized)

if qfinder cannot do a diskless firmware upgrade..talk to that external "engineer" for another device

ithrbruce
New here

Post by ithrbruce » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Thanks. However, I am not migrating, I just need to use the original disks in the new main chassis. However, while the original IP address is recognised, nothing else seems to start up.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:23 pm

the process of moving disks to a new unit is called migration

did you do the firmware upgrade ?

Return to “Miscellaneous”