Encrypted backup with versioning to old Synology

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Freeco
New here

Encrypted backup with versioning to old Synology

Post by Freeco » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 pm

After years of owning Synology NAS's I recently bought my first QNAP (TS-453D). I'd still like to reuse my old Syno DS414 as a backup target though.
I assume there's plenty of people backing up to non-QNAP devices. So how is this best taken care of?

What I'd like:
* versioning
* encrypted backups, perhaps through client-side encryption, or through an encrypted folder on the Syno
Preferably I'd put my DS414 at my neighbors, as an 'off-site backup'. The transfer between the 2 devices over the internet would then obviously have to be encrypted.
Through DDNS/VPN tunneling I think this should be doable, but if it would complicates things too much I'd just leave my Syno running at home.

With a "one-way sync" or rsync I don't have the option to do versioning (I think). And I believe a backup via RRTR is not an option for Synology?
The only thing I can think of is setting up WebDAV on the Syno, and selecting 'WebDAV Cloud Server' as the destination for a HBS backup job.

Or do I have other options? Perhaps with free 3rd-party tools...

Freeco
New here

Re: Encrypted backup with versioning to old Synology

Post by Freeco » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:48 pm

small bump...
I thought I found it by mounting an SMB share from my old Synology through HybridMount, and using that as the destination folder a local backup job on my TS453D.
But... when completing the backup wizard I get 'Encountered System Error'.
I've opened a support ticket for it, as I assume it's a bug in either HybridMount or HBS3. I can perfectly read/write on this share in FileStation, so privileges isn't an issue here.

Other suggestions still welcome :)

Return to “Backup & Restore”