TWO sets of RAID 5 operating as ONE Storage Pool

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
THEMBONES
New here

TWO sets of RAID 5 operating as ONE Storage Pool

Post by THEMBONES » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 am

I have an older 8 bay NAS model with a RAID failure and was looking for help.

Model Name: TS-853A
Firmware Version: 4.3.6 Build 20190531

It's set up like this:

Disks 1-4 are 6TB each and configured in raid 5 (disk 1 and 2 have failed, disk 1 first then disk 2 during rebuild). This raid runs the video player, audio, all apps etc. Interestingly even with the failure all the data is accessible (but only to a desktop if downloaded). This is shown as DataVol1. Most of these drives are nearly 4 years old now.

Disks 5-8 are also 6TB each and also configured in raid 5. These disks are working fine and were added much later than the original 4 (disk 1-4). This second raid is set up as a backup for all the data on the first raid. This is shown as DataVol2. These drives have been running for about a 15 months so far.

All 8 disk drives are set up a one large storage pool (set up with QNAP assistance just over a year ago). My primary goal is to replace disk one and two (that failed) from DataVol1 effectively starting over. However my fear is all files from DataVol2 will no longer be accessible once DataVol1 is erased/reset/rebuilt from scratch. Ideally once Vol1 is ready I can copy all contents from Vol2 back over and the system will be the same once again. There is about 10.5TB of my data at risk.

Speaking with two individuals from QNAP so far have given me differing opinions on whether DataVol2 will even be available once Vol1 is wiped clean (because all 8 disks are codependent being one storage pool, so they are saying). For this I would like to hear of some options (hopefully my data is not as badly at risk as I think it is, if so I hardly ever had this backed up at all).

My thinking is if I remove disks 1-4 entirely then try the remaining 5-8 where they are or move them over to spots 1-4 and just see if it will work at all but I am hesitant to try. I'm not much of a computer guy so I would appreciate any advice this forum has to offer. :D

(Interestingly I've read that I can move my DataVol2 (entire raid) into an entirely new NAS and have it function independently there so I was surprised to hear that there may be an issue leaving it in the same unit.) :roll:

Also of note disk 3 failed a few months back and was successfully replaced and the raid rebuilt. I understand that disk 4 may not be that far behind and am looking to get yet another drive on hand for that.

Thanks! :DD

dolbyman
Guru

Re: TWO sets of RAID 5 operating as ONE Storage Pool

Post by dolbyman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:37 am

unclear what was setup (screenshots would help)

first the second raid was setup as an (ill advised) internal backup for the first one
then it's said both raids have been pooled together
and after that they apparently have different datavol

what exactly is it?..you can't mix those

THEMBONES
New here

Post by THEMBONES » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks for replying. It looks like there are NO storage pools, QNAP had logged in by TeamViewer and had mentioned that I hade ONE storage pool. I'm confused over what a pool is vs a data vol.

Please let me know if there is more I can share in order to make any recommendations.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 pm

more info is needed from storage/snapshots on the left

screenshots can be done without a camera ...print button or snipping tool

so if qnap has already looked over it ..what did they say?

apparently two disks in one raid 5 are busted and it went to read only..raid5 can only survive one disk failure

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”