tr-002 replace drives with larger capacity

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
kccook
New here

tr-002 replace drives with larger capacity

Post by kccook »

From what I gather, it is not possible to replace drives in TR-002 one by one AND expand the storage to the new (larger) size drives, correct?

I must copy off the data, then remove the expansion completely and then build it anew with the larger drives and then copy the data back right?
P3R
Guru

Re: tr-002 replace drives with larger capacity

Post by P3R »

Yes and yes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kccook
New here

Post by kccook »

Thank you for the confirmation!
kccook
New here

Post by kccook »

I have copied off all the data from the TR-002.

Before I begin rebuild with newer drives, I have a question.

The TR-002 has a firmware update that needs to be done.

My question is, what is the quickest way to run this update (or does it matter).

IE, what order of operations would result in the quickest firmware update process:

1) Just run the update with the current drives (nearly filled RAID 1 8TB)

2) Empty the drives first, then run firmware update.

3) Drop the volume completely, install fresh drives , setup new RAID 1 (fresh 16TB drives) then update firmware (with no data yet)

4) some other order that results in the quickest firmware update.

Or maybe the firmware update will run at about the same rate no matter which order I perform?

Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

firmware update is probably for the actual HW controller, so can be done at any time
kccook
New here

Post by kccook »

I have completed all steps and in process of copying back the data ! :-)

One final related question. I have the TS-253A and the TR-002

Can I add to this setup a TR-004 (to re purpose the 4 8TB hard drives I have replaced) to this setup?

I checked:

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... el=ts-253a

and both the TR-002 and TR-004 seem to indicate I can have 2 of either one, but unsure if I can have 1 of each expansion devices at the same time?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you might be able to move the drives from the tr002 to the tr004 but you cannot expan the raid1 to raid5d
kccook
New here

Post by kccook »

I was not trying to move drives with data, just noting that I now have 4 extra (no data) drives available and was wondering if I can add TR-004 to my setup to add another storage pool... ie is it ok to run these 2 different external storage systems on the TS-253A at the same time.

I believe the answer would be yes, but just wanting to confirm as the page I noted only touches on the fact that 2 TR-002 or 2 TR-004 can be used at same time, but doesn't 100% indicate that 1 of each is also allowed?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

kccook wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am I believe the answer would be yes, but just wanting to confirm as the page I noted only touches on the fact that 2 TR-002 or 2 TR-004 can be used at same time, but doesn't 100% indicate that 1 of each is also allowed?
I think the same as you but as I never tried it, my recommendation is to ask Qnap.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kccook
New here

Post by kccook »

FYI for those that have same question, the answer is yes, you can have 1 TR-002 AND 1 TR-004 attached to NAS (mine is TS-253A), these are all working together now.

Return to “Miscellaneous”