What are you doing with your Qnap?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
andbir
Know my way around

Re: What are you doing with your Qnap?

Post by andbir »

Besides the obvious, I run a Java-based encrypted chatserver called openfire on my TS-509.

I bought the Qnap to replace a monster-size IBM server, a 10-year-old 4-processor Netfinity 7000 M10 Server - originally with 34 hotplug scsi drives connected to it - (the computer cost my previous employer something like $35.000 in 1998) - but very soon connected an adaptec sata controller and 3x320 sata disks instead in a raid-0 (poor-mans-choice, would of course have preferred a same-size raid1 or raid10 solution... but am not made of money.. )

Previously using this IBM server for file storage (mostly mp3s and movies, maybe 3000-4000 photos, BitTorrent downloading, eMule downloading, the abovementioned Chatserver, printerserver, webserver, ftp-server and to run some longer-running jobs like MusicIP analysis for example or to unpack movie files directly on the server.

Had a raid-0-crash on this machine where i had connected 3x320gb sata to an adaptec 2410sa controller and lost everything.
Server was down for months while I tried to recover my data, bought a 1tb sata drive as target for my recovery attempts.
After several months finally successfully recovered >98% of all data on this crashed raid volume.

Tried to get the server up and running again with the old disks and a fresh Adaptec2410SA-adapter that I had bought in my recovery attempts.
Disk system crashed again after a few days (probably due to heat problems with raid-card, probably this was the reason for the original failure too) but i had my recovered data still on the 1tb disk so no problem.

Finally because I had gotten very tired of the space the server took up in my kitchen (sound-isolation box sized more than 2 cubic meters), the sound it made anyway and the power consumption / power utility bills for the server and for the extra fans in the sound isolation box, i threw the server out...

Wrung my wallet inside-and-out to get the qnap ts-509. Immediately extremely satisfied with size, sound level and power consumption.
Still not 100% happy with file-seek performance on this (running MusicBrainz or MusicIP to scan your music takes forever!) , but plan to add more physical memory to the qnap and possible add a second 1gb network cable directly from my computer to the 2nd ethernet of the qnap without a hub in between will probably boost experienced performance enormously)

Was extremely happy and suprised to find out that I could run my java-based chatserver on the Qnap.
Just tonight I finally succeeded in getting this chatserver to start automatically with each reboot, and learned a lot in the process.

Will probably manufacture some scripts to run on the qnap to keep my mp3-library in order and maybe find some other uses too.

Feel somewhat silly for hanging on to the IBM server for so long - but still quite happy about it because without it i would possibly have bought some qnap or other nas solution long before the ts-509 was released - and look how happy i am now that i put my money in the ts509 and not something smaller :)

Other alternatives considered was running my old (current!) pc as a nas server (probably Windows 2003 server or possibly freeNas) and buying a new pc for my self instead.
I am now quite happy with my choice and the only thing I am really missing is an old-style centronics printer port on the QNAP to connect my 12-year-old Laserjet 4L.
Andreas Birgerson
Medical Doctor (resident) and DJ
Lund, Sweden

TS-509 pro (4gb ram) 5x2tb RAID5
TVS-1282-i5-16gb; 8x10tb HGST RAID5 + 2x512gb M.2 SSD as cache
Willo
Know my way around

Post by Willo »

I was pretty much the same.

I had a dual core Server with Adaptec SAS RAID card that was humming away with heaps of noise and 6 drives heating my room to boiling point and guzzling a mega load of power.

Now I have two TS-109pro's. One is the online storage and the other sits there as my replication server. It's just a backup in the event of a system failure and my data is incrementally replicated each week so the lovely pics of the wife and kids are safe.

It's also the print server and hopefully I can start using some other features soon..
marshall
New here

Post by marshall »

I use my 209II as a media server for the PS3, and for Newsgroups.
nmsb
Starting out

Post by nmsb »

I use my qnap for:
- web server including a web gallery made with o.r.i.g.i.n.a.l
- data backup from desktops (finally I managed to have a single storage place)
- storage of raw and mpg personal shootings (about 300GB)
- media server for ps3
- bt

would like to implement in future:
- icecast and ices for a personal radio station
- video streaming with flash - bandwidth dependent not qnap related
- find a way to control the nas from linux w.o using the web management gui (I am windows free)
* NAS: TS-209 PRO II Version 3.1.0 build 0708T
Drives: 2 x Segate 1TB drives (RAID1)
* DI-624 => OK
* Linksys-WRTG54L
* Amd64 2GB and GB Eth card with Ubuntu Desktop
0.8 TB in 4 SATA III Disks with 200MB in Raid1
* Linux Server running on P4
* eeepc
* Ps3 60GB
* DCS-2121 - SMB recording
Speedfreak101
Starting out

Post by Speedfreak101 »

My 109 Pro II :
Runing DEBIAN full web and email server with all the needed stuff(php/perl/mysql/spamassasin/and some odds n ends).
Have noticed the following: 512Mb ram i way to low for this usage, as swapps alot at times makeing it sluggish as harddrives are not running in full PIO mode as missing drivers atm.
1TB space uses 15Watts. Replaced a 340Watt Linux server ~performace not up to par tho... time for a TS-119/219?

My 209 Pro II :
Running regular OS, doing the regular things a QNAP can do(includeing a media server for PS3/PSP and networked LCD TV).
Otherwise mostly for FTP and backup.
Have a Testing setup with videorecorder of AXIS 20X cameras.
Have old 2x500GB HDD.

About to get a new 119/219 for triggerd videorecording on 2TB drive. IF this works as supposed to do.
El Snorro
Starting out

Post by El Snorro »

Im using mine as NZB grabber (nzbget fully configured with post process script for unrarring)
Mailserver (xdove 1.2d)
NAS (just regular data and playing divx/xvid streaming from nas on my nintendo wii)
Playing NES/SNES roms from the nas streaming to my wii
BT downloader
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

QNAP 509 Pro with 1 x 1tb Western Digital Black Caviar sata drive. ( I am upgrading within 1-2 weeks to 5 x 1tb Western Digital RE3 sata raid 24/7 certified drives )

1. web applications
- website ( a blog of sorts mostly about my exploits in the World of Warcraft or any random stuff i feel like talking about. )
- forum ( phpbb3 it's simple looks good, easy to setup, secure and tons of 3rd party support in the community. )

2. storage
- videos ( such as movies i rip from blueray and convert to 1080p .mkv format. I then stream this over my router to my Aztech Homeplug that then uses the housing powerline to connect to my 42'' HDTV in the living through my Popcorn media device that can decode .mkv and many other pc formats for me to then enjoy. My HDTV is also rigged to a high performance Yamaha A/V and a 5.1 HIFI surround sound system. Not those crappy HITB setups. )

- manga ( .rar archieved files which i can view over my pc using the CDisplay image viewer specially designed for reading comics. )

- pictures ( digital artwork i admire, wallpaper, avatars, random images i would use for posting on forum and also to be used for my web designs )

- applications ( incase i reformat my pc, i would store my applications here i use so i can then install them back. Other random tools i may be testing at the time of have uses for. )

- music ( ripped from cd using EAC then converted to .Flac. This is accessed either through my pc using Foobar music player for me to listen to with my sweet Audio Technica ATH-A900 cans, or to stream to my living room to be decoded over my popcorn player for me to listen over my 5.1 Hifi speaker system )

- Other documents ( other documents such as word, excels and etc, work or personal related. )

Anyway my network is setup like this.

My personal PC Rig > Router > Modem > crappy Internet Service Provider

My personal PC Rig > Router > QNAP 509 PRO

QNAP 509 PRO > Router > Aztech Homeplug > house electrical wiring in walls > another Aztech Homeplug in the living room > Popcorn Hour > Yamaha A/V receiver > HDTV/ 5.1 Hifi speaker system

My personal PC Rig > Router in Wifi N mode > accessed wireless by the other pcs in my house that have the Wifi details to access it securely.

So as you can see, the QNAP is simply brilliant for personal use and business as well. if my internet connection was anything like the Japanese mainstream who have access to gigabyte broadband, i could run a small webhosting service from my QNAP :D

The only dissapointments i have so far is i cannot effectively use rtorrent because my local ISP heavily throttles our torrent downloads, so i am forced to use Utorrent on my computer with special settings to try and by pass the throttling. Also my internet is so slow that i cannot play games and have many people download from my server at the same time. This is not due to QNAPs fault but my crappy ISP.

But with fiber optic broadband coming by end of the year and expanding then onwards, maybe i will then get more fun out of my Nas :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
onestopits
New here

Post by onestopits »

Going crosseyed trying to get SSH to work without damn passwords!

:wink:

When it finally gets sorted, backing up data from remote servers over the internet.
jezbo
Starting out

Post by jezbo »

Throwing it away as soon as I get my data off - more trouble than it's worth.
lentzit
Been there, done that

Post by lentzit »

Primary Unit - TS 509 Pro
- using all bayes in Raid6
- eSata drive for external replication

Using it for
- my blog and other sites for friends an a few companies
- ftp of course and ajaxplorer för webbrowsing
- as picture gallery for me and friends
- as DLNA unit for my PS3

Secondary Unit - TS 209 Pro
- using all bayes in Raid1

Using it for
- receiving end for datareplication from the TS 509 (backup)
-TVS-663/16GB QTS 4.2 , RAID5
-QGenie QG-103N - Wireless Storage in Classroom Environment
-Services: WEB | Virtual Station | QSYNC | FTP | SSL | Private Cloud | Photo Station
-Using it for my blog (http://blog.lentzit.com)
SunChi
Know my way around

Post by SunChi »

I own my TS-109 Pro II for 8 months. Initially it was bought for power-saving BT and Edonkey downloading without having my main PC turned on (about 200Wx24h of power previously). At that moment I didn't care much about other features of this NAS which I discovered later. More than that, I had a very small home LAN made with simple 4-port switch.
In fact the purchase of NAS laid out a fundament for my new, more powerful LAN which benefits I now enjoy every day. Today my TS-109 with 1TB drive inside is used as:
• SAMBA file server with all necessary work directories as well as private and internet archives, necessary for job and hobbies. I work remotely in several locations, used to have some unstable and small-capacity USB drives, HDD racks and even DVD-RWs – now travelling between places with terabyte of files at hand but without anything in my pockets :D;
• NFS video server for my Tvix media player;
• BT download/upload station which helps to keep my ratings on torrent trackers;
• Edonkey download station handling hundreds of threads simultaneously;
• FTP exchange server for technical literature for the visitors of my website (hosted on the internet – but free hosting does not allow large files storage);
• Daily recording Surveillance station with my PTZ Panasonic camera;
• Photo albums collection securely shared with parents and friends who live in other districts.
In future I may probably need available Asterisk, Python, XDove and more applications – I add them as I need them.

The most appreciated features of my Qnap 'wonderbox' are:
• low power consumption;
• large data capacity and acceptable speed;
• (very important!) fanless design – nothing to produce noise, collect dust and finally burn out.

Having been not sure if I really needed such a thing as NAS at all, now I am looking forward to buy some more powerful fanless model – perhaps the next after 119 :roll:. Better if it was 2-HDD fanless NAS from Qnap, oh I know that I am just dreaming... :lol:
TS-453A QTS 4.2.5 + 2xWD Red 4Tb (WD40EFRX); TS-109 Pro II FW: 3.3.0 b0924T + WD Caviar Green 1Tb (WD10EADS)
oliveiraviggoo
New here

Post by oliveiraviggoo »

Hello everyone.

I use my Qnap for downloading files.
To take back up of my all drives.
I also use it to access server and for sharing multimedia files.
firewire port
brentonsav
New here

Post by brentonsav »

i have nearly finished setting up my qnap TS-639 which has 4x 2tb WD green HD's in raid 5 in it currently

i use it for:
file server - 400+ HD movies
sabnzbd
qget
streaming to ps3 - twonky

i have a philips pronto remote i want to setup slimpronto on but i haven't done that yet.

i love all the web interfaces as i work away from home and can control it entirely whilst away. i also love the small form factor and noise/power consumption also.

i will be setting up backup of my girlfriends computer next time i'm home.
Strangepork
First post

Post by Strangepork »

Hi all,

my qnap (TS-809 4x1 TB + 4x750 GB Raid5 + Hotspare) is working as an ISCSI Target for an VMWare esxi 4.0.
It is configured as 2 LUNS on the esx, and it hosts 8 VMs. Performance is great.

Happy (q)napping ;-)

Strangepork
PommyTom

Post by PommyTom »

Using my qnap 439 for (in order of priority):

1. Download (rTorrent)
2. Distribution of video to PS3 for playing on the big screen (or via TVersity on the windows box if its in a codec not recognised by Twonky)
3. Backup of computers

Return to “Miscellaneous”