Increasing NFSD threads

Discussion about using NAS on Linux and Unix OS.
richjoyce
Starting out

Increasing NFSD threads

Post by richjoyce »

Hi,

I've been looking for a way to increase the number of NFSD threads spawned. It seems the default is 8, but I'd like to increase it to 16. I can't seem to find any setting for it, either in the web interface, or looking around the /etc dir.

Has anyone accomplished this or could enlighten me on where to look to change this setting?

(I had a hard time searching for this, as searching for nfs thread gives me a bunch of posts where people use thread to mean forum thread)

Thanks!
tesme33
New here

Re: Increasing NFSD threads

Post by tesme33 »

[/proc/fs/nfsd] # echo 16 > /proc/fs/nfsd/threads
[/proc/fs/nfsd] # cat threads
[/proc/fs/nfsd] #

enjoy :-)
tesme33
New here

Post by tesme33 »

I forgot to mention:

[/etc] # grep nfs daemon_mgr.conf
DAEMON16 = nfsd, start, /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd 8

in case you want to have it after a reboot. But dont expect a hight throuput.
I played around with the 2,4,8,16. The overall load on the processor will not change, just the different nsfd will use more process time. More threads will definitly increase responsiveness.

You should also check the client site.
on linux i would propose to use:

rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr,noatime

For mac you should adjust /etc/nfs.conf
nfs.client.mount.options = vers=3,resvport,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

Yours
richjoyce
Starting out

Post by richjoyce »

Great! Thanks a bunch!!

The reason I have for wanting to do this is that I have 8-12 clients accessing the NFS some times. I'm hoping that this will improve reliability, as sometimes we have connections get dropped for no apparent reason. Am I wrong here?

As far as the nfs options on the client, I've been looking into speeding up the NFS mounts, and I found the information on increasing the r/wsize, but I also read that if it's using TCP it doesn't matter as TCP adjusts automatically, and it seemed to imply that any newer hardware/software would support TCP and use it. Will I find a performance boost by using the bigger r/wsize?

Also, all of our clients are Macs, so I was wondering why you used noatime,intr on linux but not mac.
tesme33
New here

Post by tesme33 »

Hi
the mac is a mac server and i want him to be sure that the information he is updating on the NAS is accurate. The linux is just for playing and nothing serious.

My experience show thet 32K r/W size are giving good performance. Yes TCP will adjust but with the r/wsize you tell the nfs client to request larger junks, which is good for normal home NAS usage. If you want to use the NAS for newsgroups for example I would go down to 8K.

I saw up to 80MB with a linux client and up to 50MB with a Mac client read perfomance. All servered from a QNAP TS439Pro.

By

Return to “Linux & Unix (NFS)”