Does new APC UPS SMT series work with QNAP?

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
pkr1771
New here

Does new APC UPS SMT series work with QNAP?

Post by pkr1771 »

Does anyone have experience with the new APC Smart-UPS models - the SMT codes replace the older SUA?

APC state that these will no longer use the UPSLink protocol but instead use the new proprietary Microlink protocol. The apcupsd forum says they have no information on the new protocol and do not recommend them to users.

The QNAP Compatibility list continues to identify the Smart-UPS 750 as compatible but I'm not sure if it will still work. Would apreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Paul.
grobylev
Easy as a breeze

Re: Does new APC UPS SMT series work with QNAP?

Post by grobylev »

Hello Paul,

I have an SMT1500I with a network management card (AP9631), configured in the QNAP's web interface since half year and it is working correctly.
As you asked, I plugged in the USB cable as well to test it, and I can confirm that it is working, I receive the status, remaining runtime etc, I also plugged out the UPS from the wall and the status changed to 'on battery'...

By the way you're right about the protocols, for the new generation of SmartUPS-s it has been changed to Microlink, but a 'converter' exist -- if sy interested -- the model number is AP9620:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/in ... sku=AP9620

Basically what this card does is converts back the new protocol to the old one, the AP9620 has a serial port on the back side so you can connect your APC 'serial' cable to it.

But to answer to your question shortly, it is working with the new SMT series, on USB as well.

Cheers,
Robert
QNAP TS-459Pro II 4x2TB in RAID5 3GB RAM | Trunking: IEEE 802.3ad on Cisco SG200-08 | protected by APC SMT1500I with AP9631
QPKGs: Optware, JRE, Python, CrashPlan, Squid, Transmission | Router: Linksys E3000 | FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega
pkr1771
New here

Post by pkr1771 »

Many thanks, Robert. Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks

Paul.
grobylev
Easy as a breeze

Post by grobylev »

You're welcome :)
QNAP TS-459Pro II 4x2TB in RAID5 3GB RAM | Trunking: IEEE 802.3ad on Cisco SG200-08 | protected by APC SMT1500I with AP9631
QPKGs: Optware, JRE, Python, CrashPlan, Squid, Transmission | Router: Linksys E3000 | FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”