Smart complete test apply to all hdd ?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
stallis71
Starting out

Smart complete test apply to all hdd ?

Post by stallis71 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 am

Hi all!

How should I set parameters for my 4 hdds when I do SMART complete test?

Should I do complete test on all 4 hdd at the same time or one and one on different Days ?

Ps. It seems like it takes longer time to do complete test with firmware 3.8.0 !? Ds.

P3R
Guru

Re: Smart complete test apply to all hdd ?

Post by P3R » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:08 pm

stallis71 wrote:Should I do complete test on all 4 hdd at the same time or one and one on different Days ?
I run short tests daily and long tests weekly. I have the tests scheduled to start a minute apart on each disk to get the reporting in the log nice and clean.
Ps. It seems like it takes longer time to do complete test with firmware 3.8.0 !? Ds.
Unlikely related to Qnap firmware as the test is executed on the disk by the disk.

There can however be huge differences in execution time. Probably related to disk health (a disk about to fail often takes longer) and/or other concurrent activity.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

stallis71
Starting out

Post by stallis71 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for your answer.

I run short test daily and complete test once a week

I noticed that the complete hd test AFTER 3.8.0 takes longer time to finish and one of my four seagate discs needed 17 hours to finish (the other took about 10 hours) I have 4x3tb discs

I have read a lot of ** about the seagates, dont know what to think..
Some smart parameters have really strange values, but all status seems to be "OK"

I also saw that the translation to swedish is really annoying in the SMART info field.
The status in english is GOOD = bra, but the explenation in swedish below "Bra" is saying that it might be something wrong with the disc

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 am

stallis71 wrote:I noticed that the complete hd test AFTER 3.8.0 takes longer time to finish and one of my four seagate discs needed 17 hours to finish (the other took about 10 hours) I have 4x3tb discs
I think the Qnap firmware makes no difference for the test execution time, for the reason already stated.

I'd say that the 17 hour disk test is a definite sign of that you have a failure coming up on that disk.

Looked at some of my logs for some reference number on how long the complete SMART test takes:
  • 3 TB Hitachi HUA723030ALA640 finish in 7.5 hours (Qnap firmware 3.7.3.)
  • 3 TB WDC WD30EFRX finish in 7.5 hours (Qnap firmware 3.7.3.)
  • 2 TB Hitachi HDS722020ALA330JKAO finish in 6 hours (Qnap firmware 3.7.3.)
  • 1 TB SAMSUNG HD103UJ finish in 4 hours (Qnap firmware 3.8.0.)
  • A known bad (developing read/write errors) 2 TB Hitachi HDS722020ALA330JKAO finish in between 4-12 hours, the shorter times when the test fails (Qnap firmware 3.8.0.)
I have read a lot of ** about the seagates, dont know what to think..
The 5900 rpm ST2000DL003 was obviously a disaster since it disappeared so soon and Seagate claimed they wouldn't make slow spinning disks any more. They said 7200 rpm disks could be almost as power frugal. So the ST3000DM001/ST2000DM001 entered, soon showing almost the same problems in NAS/RAID-applications. Now it's a mess with many different firmwares floating around (and only some listed as compatible by Qnap), products from different countries are said to have different characteristics despite the same model name, and constant chirping complaints (with subsequent soaring LCC-values). :evil:

To me there's a big red sign next to all current Seagate desktop disks for use in NAS/RAID-applications that says:
AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Their enterprise disks are probably still okay.
Some smart parameters have really strange values, but all status seems to be "OK"
OK means only that a very crude interpretation of the SMART-values show no disasters.

For the statistics to be useful, you need to look at specific values and how they develop over time.
I also saw that the translation to swedish is really annoying in the SMART info field.
The status in english is GOOD = bra, but the explenation in swedish below "Bra" is saying that it might be something wrong with the disc
Yes, that's one of the things that are incorrect in the Swedish translation. Always double check texts in english to be sure... :roll:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Miscellaneous”