UPS: WINNUT PC client authentication issue

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
bsg75
Getting the hang of things

UPS: WINNUT PC client authentication issue

Post by bsg75 »

Hello,
I setup WINNUT PC client as explained in this post: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=47493.
I noticed that I may set any account/password credentials in the MONITOR command in the upsmon.conf to get it work. What I'm missing?
Thank you
P3R
Guru

Re: UPS: WINNUT PC client authentication issue

Post by P3R »

bsg75 wrote:I noticed that I may set any account/password credentials in the MONITOR command in the upsmon.conf to get it work.
Well "any" may be an exageration, I'm sure there are limitations but I don't know what they may be. Simply use a reasonable length to get it to work, then you can make it more complicated to explore the limits.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bsg75

Post by bsg75 »

hmm may be I was not clear. No matter the username or the password I put in MONITOR it is working.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm sorry, I didn't understand that was your issue.

So then the question would be if it really is a problem that any client can monitor the UPS?
If that is a problem, would enforcing host access control (if that works) be enough?

I would guess that the only NUT-communication really supported by Qnap are between multiple Qnaps and since they don't use authentication, maybe they cut a corner or two in their implementation? I really have no idea as I'm happy to just have the communication work to other hosts and have no real security issues with authentication not working. Anyway feel free to contact Qnap support for assistance if you'd like to.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
bsg75

Post by bsg75 »

Like you I'm *very* happy that communication is established, and there is no real concern. It just noticed that and wanted to share it.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”