Can't connect to NAS from Windows 8

Windows Access Rights Management
noirs
New here

Can't connect to NAS from Windows 8

Post by noirs »

I've got my NAS setup, and both my windows 7 machines can connect no problem, to \\nas or \\192.168.1.9, but my windows 8 laptop won't. It can ping nas, and ping 192.168.1.9, but can't access it via a windows share:

C:\Users\alex_000>net use x: \\192.168.1.9
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I think I've tried some of the obvious things, any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?
Last edited by noirs on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can't connect to NAS from Windows 8

Post by schumaku »

What happens if you try to browse to the NAS using Windows Explorer entering \\192.168.1.9\ in the address bar? Reason asking ... Windows can fix some faulty configs, like a network zone set to Public instead of Home.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

noirs wrote:I've got my NAS setup, and both my windows 7 machines can connect no problem, to \\nas or \\192.168.1.9, but my windows 8 laptop won't. It can ping nas, and ping 192.168.1.9, but can't access it via a windows share:

C:\Users\alex_000>net use x: \\192.168.1.9
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

I think I've tried some of the obvious things, any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?
Have you reviewed the Connecting to NAS Shared Folders - Windows section of the fine user manual. To be honest, I don't understand still using "Drive Mapping" at all, it is depreciated, why not browse via UNC Paths instead.

You should be able to type \\192.168.1.9\Public right into the Address bar of Windows Explorer.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
noirs
New here

Post by noirs »

pwilson wrote:You should be able to type \\192.168.1.9\Public right into the Address bar of Windows Explorer.
Agreed. But, I can't, so I'm here :)

I'll check out the doc you linked to.
browse.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
noirs
New here

Post by noirs »

(My intuition is that this is a security error/issue, but perhaps windows is tripping up and not showing the actual error..)

Connecting via QFinder gives this error:
qfinder.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

noirs wrote:
pwilson wrote:You should be able to type \\192.168.1.9\Public right into the Address bar of Windows Explorer.
Agreed. But, I can't, so I'm here :)

I'll check out the doc you linked to.
browse.PNG
In that case, we'll need more information from you. Please review article: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Additional questions over and above those in this article:
  1. Are both machines in the same network subnet?
  2. Are both machines in the same workgroup?
  3. Is your Windows 8 box using a "Home" or "Work" network profile? (Windows file&print sharing is disabled when using a "Public" profile)
  4. Does this problem still exist if you temporarily disable Windows Firewall

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

noirs
New here

Post by noirs »

1. Windows 8 Pro x64
2. TS-119P II
3. 4.0.2 (20130726)
4. My laptop connects via wifi to my router

Are both machines in the same network subnet?
- Yes. laptop is 192.168.1.30, nas is 192.168.1.9, 255.255.255.0

Are both machines in the same workgroup?
- Both have string "workgroup" set for the workgroup

Is your Windows 8 box using a "Home" or "Work" network profile? (Windows file&print sharing is disabled when using a "Public" profile)
- Home

Does this problem still exist if you temporarily disable Windows Firewall
- Yes
noirs
New here

Post by noirs »

Ah, I solved it. The service "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" was disabled, once I started it the command "net use \\192.168.1.9" worked, and so did browsing UNC paths.

Thanks for your help.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

noirs wrote:Ah, I solved it. The service "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" was disabled, once I started it the command "net use \\192.168.1.9" worked, and so did browsing UNC paths.

Thanks for your help.
That'll do it. Good troubleshooting. :DD

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

rtruell
Getting the hang of things

Post by rtruell »

pwilson wrote:I don't understand still using "Drive Mapping" at all, it is depreciated,
Not in the Windows universe it isn't.
pwilson wrote:why not browse via UNC Paths instead.
Because we're talking about Windows. In most programs, you can't pick a location to save to or load from unless the drive is mapped. And just in case you disbelieve me about that, allow me to remind you of just how stupid Windows [programs] can be: I have many times run into the situation where I have been unable to map a drive using the "Map Network Drive" function in Windows Explorer (or any of its many replacements), but immediately going to the command line and using the "net use" command works perfectly. It is the nature of Microsoft to make the operation of its programs/OS's inconsistent/incompatible.
Rick Truell
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

NAS: TS-119P II, F/W: QTS 4.0.2 Build 20130726, Drive: WD 2TB RE4 || TS-419P II, F/W: QTS 4.1.1 Build 20141003, Drives: 4 * WD 3TB Red
Computers: || Mac mini running Yosemite (10.10.4)
PVR: i5 & Core 2 Duo, both running MythBuntu. Tuners: Hauppauge PVR-150, 2 * HVR-1600 and 2 * HVR-2250
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

rtruell wrote:Because we're talking about Windows. In most programs, you can't pick a location to save to or load from unless the drive is mapped. And just in case you disbelieve me about that, allow me to remind you of just how stupid Windows [programs] can be: I have many times run into the situation where I have been unable to map a drive using the "Map Network Drive" function in Windows Explorer (or any of its many replacements), but immediately going to the command line and using the "net use" command works perfectly. It is the nature of Microsoft to make the operation of its programs/OS's inconsistent/incompatible.
No, unfortunately I do believe you. I am firmly of the belief that software that requires "drive mapping" to work with a NAS is itself depreciated, or at least "badly written", but I don't doubt that it can't be avoided. I note that some of the major software packages out there still have this issue. Microsoft has been using "drive letters" for at least 30 years, so I suppose they will never completely go away.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Network profile set to something different but Private or Office network?
Any firewall prohibiting outgoing connections?
TCP/IP v4 protocol installed on configured on the network connection?
Client for Microsoft Networking installed and enabled on the network connection?
Network Discovery is enabled?
IP address blocked or locked-out by the NAS security?
IP address prohibited from access the share on the NAS by Microsoft Networking Host Access?
tonyphilip
New here

Post by tonyphilip »

I had the same issue. Only on one windows system connecting to my NAS. Very annoying. Anyway "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" was enabled on my system. But, It did get me where I needed to go. I started reviewing the other services and remembered workstation, specifically calling out SMB. So, even though it said started and I rebooted the system several times. I restarted this service. That in turn restarted a couple of dependent services. After that UNC, and all other connection were again possible.

Note, One of my symptoms was that in windows. When I would try the common \\10.0.10.2 local address for my system I had used many times in the past. It somehow cached some bad data as it would show one of the network folders; However, would not let me access it. All other errors are the same as above. CMD etc. Also, I was able to check on other windows systems and there it was working so I knew it was something specific to this server.

Try restarting Workstation in services for windows.

Return to “Windows”