[SOLVED] NAS to NAS vs. RSYNC explained

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
AngryAdmin
New here

[SOLVED] NAS to NAS vs. RSYNC explained

Post by AngryAdmin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi there,

i finally got the difference between "NAS to NAS" and RSYNC.

RSYNC: /usr/bin/rsync -H -a --sever-mode=0 --delete --qnap-bwlimit --exclude=:2eDS_Store --exclude=.AppleDB/ --exclude=.AppleDesktop/ --exclude=.AppleDouble/ --schedule=Schedule1 --password=mypass --timeout=600 --port=873 /share/MD0_DATA/test1/ rsync@[192.12.144.58]::test2
yeah, auth with admin does not work! So use another user.

NAS to NAS: /usr/bin/rsync -H -a --sever-mode=1 --delete --whole-file -I --qnap-bwlimit --exclude=:2eDS_Store --exclude=.AppleDB/ --exclude=.AppleDesktop/ --exclude=.AppleDouble/ --schedule=Schedule0 --password=mypass --timeout=600 --port=873 /share/MD0_DATA/test1/ admin@[192.12.144.58]::test2

Did you noticed 2 options (marked bold) in second line? What does they mean?
-W, --whole-file copy files whole (without delta-xfer algorithm)
-I, --ignore-times don't skip files that match in size and mod-time

First one disables chunk hash checking, second one disables skipping files with same size/times.

Summa summarum: NAS to NAS just copy files to another destination, even if they are identical!!!
So if you have 5TB of data and want to sync them to another NAS every day, you will get infinite loop (since just copy takes 2,5 days).

This took 5 hours of my time :evil: , so "dear" QNAP, please provide MORE details about features, not just "to use function X press button X", but please explain what every feature exactly do!

Kind regards
Angry Admin

tags: difference between NAS to NAS and RSYNC RSYNC broken infinity loop

AngryAdmin
New here

Re: [SOLVED] NAS to NAS vs. RSYNC explained

Post by AngryAdmin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:55 pm

P.S. 2x TS-421, RTRR is broken as well, but i hope old good rsync will do the job if properly configured :P

buergi
Starting out

Re: [SOLVED] NAS to NAS vs. RSYNC explained

Post by buergi » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:06 am

Hey AngryAdmin,

sorry for wakeing up this old thread but I just want to correct this, you missed the sever-mode option.
I guess it's pretty obvious QNAP misspelled server :) rsync --help says

Code: Select all

--sever-mode=mode       0:Normal, 1:QNAP in daemon-mode

Well, as we all know QNAP loves messing up linux utils to puzzle the admins, nothing we can do about it.

Return to “Backup & Restore”