How to Mount remote folders from another NAS in QNAP

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
donglobal
New here

How to Mount remote folders from another NAS in QNAP

Post by donglobal »

I have a QNAP TS-215 which I only run Plex Media Server (RAID 1)
I also have a Synology DS1513+ which has my content in 3-4 shared folders (RAID 5), all of this runs on the same network.

I would like to do the following:
Mount the the Synology shared folders onto my QNAP TS-215 as local drives, so that they can be easily seen by Plex as local drives and mounted.

My question is can this be done easily, I tried the shared folder aggregation but this is not what i need as it is the QNAP which needs to see the drives on the Sinology device not Windows or MAC. If i do this the other way around Synology has an option in their file manager called "Mount Remote Folder" which allows me to mount a folder from any server, all i need to do is supply the IP address the login details, yet I cannot see how the same thing can be done on the QNAP, any ideas on how this can be done.

I've been breaking my head all morning trying to figure this out, maybe I have missed something very simple :oops: .
Thanks in advance.
nickiman
Know my way around

Re: How to Mount remote folders from another NAS in QNAP

Post by nickiman »

Hi,

I´m in the same situation as donglobal. I am a recent owner of a TS-453 and the first that I tried was Mount a remote folder to move the content of my old NAS to my new QNAP.

After long time struggling to find the way to do it... I finally did it mounting the remote folder of my qnap in the Synology :-(

Nobody knows how could be done? Even entering in command mode in the NAS?

Best regards.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nickiman wrote:Hi,

I´m in the same situation as donglobal. I am a recent owner of a TS-453 and the first that I tried was Mount a remote folder to move the content of my old NAS to my new QNAP.

After long time struggling to find the way to do it... I finally did it mounting the remote folder of my qnap in the Synology :-(

Nobody knows how could be done? Even entering in command mode in the NAS?

Best regards.
I have provided instructions multiple times in this Forum. Check out the Advanced search feature of this Forum System.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
nickiman
Know my way around

Post by nickiman »

Hi Patrick,

The first thing that I did after registering in this forum was do a search on it about this issue. And the only one thread more accurate that I saw was this, sorry I didn´t found the relevant info.

Anyway I don´t know if you have a clear image that we are talking about... In Synology NAS there is an option to map remote shared folders from other devices in the same LAN (such hard disk connected to routers) into local folders with CIFS protocol. This, is an advantage (from our point of view) because you can access that content from File Station without the need of a third device (like a PC) where you have mapped that folder in order to move the content from that folder into a NAS folder or viceversa.

I attach you the link below with a picture of that feature in Synology:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... RF_Syn.JPG

I don´t know if you are aware of this and if you can do the same with QNAP.

If you can do the same with QNAP any clue to do that is very welcome.

Best regards.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

nickiman wrote:Hi Patrick,

The first thing that I did after registering in this forum was do a search on it about this issue. And the only one thread more accurate that I saw was this, sorry I didn´t found the relevant info.

Anyway I don´t know if you have a clear image that we are talking about... In Synology NAS there is an option to map remote shared folders from other devices in the same LAN (such hard disk connected to routers) into local folders with CIFS protocol. This, is an advantage (from our point of view) because you can access that content from File Station without the need of a third device (like a PC) where you have mapped that folder in order to move the content from that folder into a NAS folder or viceversa.

I attach you the link below with a picture of that feature in Synology:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/394 ... RF_Syn.JPG

I don´t know if you are aware of this and if you can do the same with QNAP.

If you can do the same with QNAP any clue to do that is very welcome.

Best regards.
I already understand what you want. Unfortunately QNAP does not presently provide a nice GUI to accomplish this goal. Please review my previous messages on this topic, as I provide solutions in those threads.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
plagueis06
Starting out

Post by plagueis06 »

donglobal wrote:I have a QNAP TS-215 which I only run Plex Media Server (RAID 1)
I also have a Synology DS1513+ which has my content in 3-4 shared folders (RAID 5), all of this runs on the same network.

I would like to do the following:
Mount the the Synology shared folders onto my QNAP TS-215 as local drives, so that they can be easily seen by Plex as local drives and mounted.

My question is can this be done easily, I tried the shared folder aggregation but this is not what i need as it is the QNAP which needs to see the drives on the Sinology device not Windows or MAC. If i do this the other way around Synology has an option in their file manager called "Mount Remote Folder" which allows me to mount a folder from any server, all i need to do is supply the IP address the login details, yet I cannot see how the same thing can be done on the QNAP, any ideas on how this can be done.

I've been breaking my head all morning trying to figure this out, maybe I have missed something very simple :oops: .
Thanks in advance.
first create a share folder to direct the mount to then ssh into your qnap and login as admin. type in the following command mount.cifs //synology nas ip/folder you to mount /share/shared folder you created on qnap -o rw

ex: mount.cifs //192.168.1.22/Video /share/synomount -o rw

it will ask your for the admin password for your synology nas, just type it in and it will mount to your qnap
PseudoMax
New here

Post by PseudoMax »

Hi

Patrick, I have seen a number of comments by yourself on this subject ... but unfortunately the links (or my skill in searching) mean that I have come up empty handed in finding the way to do this.

Essentially I am looking for the 'dummies guide' to mounting (and automatically mounting on a restart) a network drive. The drive is a Windows 10 computer folder and I have given 'everyone' on my LAN 'full control' over this folder and subfolders.

What I have read is that I need to SSH with PuTTY (which I have done without a problem). And then configure a "credentials" file (referring specifically to: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=56949). I guess what I am looking for is a step by step guide to edit the mount.cifs file & autorun.sh files which I think are key.

My setup:
QNAP TS451
Windows 10 PC (Network Name 'HTPC')
Folder with all shared permissions is TVRecordings

Any help very appreciated!!

Thanks
Johnnyd
Starting out

Post by Johnnyd »

Hi

I've got a QNAP TS-221. I have used the above command to mount an external folder on a WD Work drive. What command do I used to unmount the Folder?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Johnnyd wrote: I have used the above command to mount an external folder on a WD Work drive.
Something like this?

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.22/Video /share/synomount -o rw

# umount /share/synomount
Johnnyd
Starting out

Post by Johnnyd »

Thanks
rafter
First post

Post by rafter »

Rock and roll, in case anyone else comes across this post and wants to do it via the GUI in the future!..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3NEH66PFA
denisb88
Starting out

Post by denisb88 »

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.22/Video /share/synomount -o rw

Thanks it works exactly as I want.
mackconsult
Know my way around

Post by mackconsult »

I was able to type this command, it asked me for my password, then it spit back a resource busy error ......

Why would this be .....
QNAP TS259
QNAP TS421
QNAP TS649
scouser1023
Starting out

Post by scouser1023 »

psudomax,
Did you figure this out? We are in exactly the same spot. Today is my first time using putty and command line entry but I quick found out that the autorun.sh is located by using:
mount $(/sbin/hal_app --get_boot_pd port_id=0)6 /tmp/config
touch /tmp/config/autorun.sh
chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh
$EDITOR /tmp/config/autorun.sh
umount /tmp/config

The $editor brings up the vi, from there you can use "i" to input into the file, then esc and :w to save. Still I seem to be missing something. I tried using the above to directly mount in putty and manually type the credentials as a test and get an error
[~] # mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/movie share /share/remote media -o rw
Couldn't chdir to share: No such file or directory
[~] # mount.cifs //media-pc/movie share /share/remote media -o rw

So I think even if I got the credentials and the autorun.sh right it would still not work if I can not manually mount it.
I have been at this for 2 weeks now. First I tried the remote connections and had a hard time getting those to function, now they seem rock solid, tried aggrigation which works from the windows side of things, but still can not get a shared drive into a file structure on the qnap.

We have the same qnap and I am running the latest QTS.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

scouser1023 wrote:I tried using the above to directly mount in putty and manually type the credentials as a test and get an error
[~] # mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/movie share /share/remote media -o rw
[~] # mount.cifs //media-pc/movie share /share/remote media -o rw
The error is caused by the fact that the "/share/remote media" folder does not exist. If you want a shared folder like "remote media" you need to create it first from the NAS control panel - otherwise is will never become visible and accessible as a shared folder.

Why ever, you seem to use shared folder names with spaces ... hard to understand why making the own life hard. The shell (same as the Windows command line...) can't read this in-betwen chair-keyboard brain, so you need to help.

If you want to mount at a random location for testing, create the shared folder first, ie.

[~] # mkdir /share/Public/remote\ media

To overcome this, you need to escape the space ... in this example I?m mounting into the default shared folder Public/remote\ media created above:

[~] # mount.cifs //media-pc/movie\ share /share/Public/remote\ media -o rw

Last ... during autorun execution, there is no path in place, mount.cifs won't be found - when I'm right it's hee /usr/local/bin/mount.cifs

-Kurt.

Return to “File Sharing”